VMware Cloud Community
Ultimateseoorg
Contributor
Contributor

New Installation - Newbie - VM troubleshooting network issues

Hi, so this is my first look at VMware ... Ive had Fusion for sometime but now have ESXi on a server in my office lab.  I've used Xenserver and Xng but they just arent my flavor.  So I setup ESXi and it alll seems fine but of the 17 vms Ive made I think all of them have some weird issue here and there and its only the VMWare platform thats different from my pervious uses of the servers so I have to figure out what I've got wrong here. 

Ubuntu Install Fails - I have tried like 3 or 4 vms now ... where I have uploaded Ubuntu to the Datastore and I select its iso for the cd drive....it starts and loads and I enter all the info needed and tell it to go .... then the install fails.  Every time.

Centos 7 - fails to resolve domains consistently.  yum -y update is unable to run because of an unknown repository error.  Which repository?  Its unknown. So I cant really disable it.  I then cant install any additional stuff....such as webmin or virtualmin.  The repository error comes up.

I was able to upload an OVA image of a previous vm I had made on Xen server to VMWare that has Centos 7 already on it.  I was able to load it and it functions mostly fine.

Centos 8 - Unable to installl it from the iso ... I create a vm and select centos 8 iso ... it loads to the GUI configuration but it says the install source is unavailable.  Im using the "boot" version iso so its network reliant.  

I believe all of these issues are network related to the VMware servers network.  Its the default network that came when I created the server.  I have 64 ips and I assugn them myself without DHCP .... I can access the server remotely without issue.  I can access the individual vms remotely via ip address.  I can ping.  But they all seem to get lost on the way out.  I configured the individual vms to use 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as DNS.

I have the server configured with the Gateway ip address correct and I beleive thats the DNS ip address on the server as well.  

Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Ultimateseoorg
Contributor
Contributor

tinIts also worth mentioning ... that I created a second VMWare server .... and it also has the same issues as the first.  So I am consistently not doing something right

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
alantz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

By saying you get lost on the way out of your network is it the host that can't reach the Internet, the VM's can't reach the Internet, or both ?  Definitely sounds like configuration issues.

--Alan--

0 Kudos