VMware Cloud Community
seelend
Contributor
Contributor

New ESXi VM's won't connect to internet

Hello,

I have a new esxi that I have spun up, everything appeared to be working fine, until I migrated a couple vm's.  Basically once migrated they do not have access to the internet, what is weird is I can create a new NIC for them on DHCP and they do have access to the internet.  I have checked my IP's, DNS, Gateways and they are all correct so I am at a loss as to why they cannot connect.  I even attempted to create a new NIC, made sure it connected with DHCP then tried to put in the static ip and it still fails.  Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
dbalcaraz
Expert
Expert

Well, you are the only one who knows how your ESXi host is connected physically to the network.

If you do a tracert command inside the VM until which device are you able to arrive?

I don't know if those VM NICs are configured in the correct VLAN as the NIC itself from the host.

-------------------------------------------------------- "I greet each challenge with expectation"
0 Kudos
StephenMoll
Expert
Expert

I think the first thing I would check is that the vNIC in the VMs when moved to the new host has a port-group associated with it. It may be that the VMs when on the old host had their Internet facing vNICs assigned to a specific port-group that doesn't exist on the new host yet.

0 Kudos
Dave_the_Wave
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Please confirm that your VMs will work internet if they are DHCP, but no connection on a static ip?

Have you tried a static IP assign to the VM's vmxnet3 mac adddress?

That way you can leave the ipv4 on DHCP, which you say works.

0 Kudos