VMware Cloud Community
Potential96
Contributor
Contributor

New ESXi 5.5 host but can't see it with vCenter Server

I recently installed ESXi 5.5 on a box that was running 5.0.  Everything is good with the box which I can access & manage via the vSphere client.  I've got two other Datacenters running in the company (Data1 & Data2) with one at our main location and one at our DR site.  The new 5.5 box is also at our DR site. They each have a cluster running two hosts and multiple VM's.  What I'm trying to do is this - I want to migrate some of the VM's from the current Datacenters to the new box but I can't seem to get the new host to load using the Web client or vSphere client.  I get the error: A general system error occured: Timed waiting for vxpa to start.

I'm new at this so any help/insight is good.

Thanks. RJ

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DavoudTeimouri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

What is your vCenter server version?

Seems, vCenter agent which is installed on your ESXi host is not compatible with 5.5.

Your agent mus be upgraded by vCenter.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Davoud Teimouri - https://www.teimouri.net - Twitter: @davoud_teimouri Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/teimouri.net/
0 Kudos
Potential96
Contributor
Contributor

Davoud,

Our current configuration contains two datacenters with everything running 5.1 EXSi, vCenter server, vSphere clients, etc.(each datacenter contain two hosts and vCenter server).  The new ESXi 5.5 box I'm trying to manage has no VM's on it at this time.  I just wanted to manage it from one of the current vCenter servers or the current web client.  Do I need to install the 5.5 version of vCenter Server onto the new box and use the 5.5 version of the vSphere web client to manage this new box or can it be managed from 5.1?  Hope this makes sense since I'm new at VMWare and have no formal training - except videos and reading.

Thanks. RJ

0 Kudos
Jasiro500
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, to manage esxi 5.5 host from vCenter you need also to have it on at least 5.5 version.

0 Kudos