VMware Cloud Community
danieldunn
Contributor
Contributor

New ESXI host v7.0.2 - Bootbank cannot be found at path '/bootbank'

Hi we have setup a new host which has been running ok for a week.

Today we noticed a VM could not be access through RDP and was not responding to ping requests.

We tried to view it through the web console which we could not.

We tried to power it off which would not work.

We also found that all of the VMs on the host could not be viewed through the web console.

When looking in the logs we have noticed these errors started today

hostd performance has degraded due to high system latency

Bootbank cannot be found at path '/bootbank' 

What do these mean and is there a way to fix this?

Thanks 

0 Kudos
22 Replies
Leon_Straathof
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the last link about USB devices, it triggered me again on the fact that UASP is supported on USB3. And UAPS is indeed a lot faster for random access (both read and write) then BOT. How could i ever forget about that. So since i have problems with normal USB storage connected to the onboard USB3, the actual storage ain't even bad quality it has reasonably good random read and write for just flash media and really good sequential speeds of almost 200mb sec read and almost 120 write. But i guess like other operating systems ESX hypervisor needs random access not sequential. I will try to get a UASP compatble USB3 SSD and will do some testing. Got good confidence now that it will solve my problems. 

0 Kudos
Srijithk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Documentation and Links for the patch fixing the bootbank issue

Download Link:

0 Kudos
gparker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Patrick / all,

Thanks very much for your contributions. I've just encountered the same issue on 3 newly built ESXi 7.0-U2a hosts I built. The hosts are HPE ProLiant's and I installed the HPE Customised ESXi 7.0-U2a image on their internal SD/USB devices that appeared under VMHBA32. 

I've implemented the workarounds to move their scratch/syslog files to a SAN LUN as well as move the VMtools files to ramdisk and will use Lifecycle Manager to patch the hosts to the latest 7.0-U3c. I will also buy a pair of SSDs for each host and I guess have to re-install ESXi onto them (Can I "move" the ESXi OS from the USB to the SSDs??)

Regards,

George.

0 Kudos