VMware Cloud Community
Eildon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

New ESX5 host - issues seeing SAN datastores and more

Have just setup a new vSphere 5 host and have added to an existing cluster with 2 x 3.5 host (in my vCenter server 5)

3 issues.

1 – I can’t see LUNs (on SAN datastore). Have zoned my new HBAs etc and still no joy. Tried host reboots and rescan option etc. Any ideas?

2  - On my 3.5 hosts I was able to specify different default gateways for my Service Console and VMKernel (both on same vswitch). I have Service Console configured on 172.16.5.x and vmkernel 10.16.5.x. (I know there is no Service Console in vSphere 5\ESXi) but on my ESX5 host I cannot specify different gateways for VMKernel and Management Network. I am concerned that vmotion etc will not work between the 3.5 hosts and the 5 host, because although the VMkernels have addresses in the same range, they do not have the same gateway. Do I need to add a local route on the ESX 5 host? Or have I misconfigured somewhere?

3 - Minor irritation. My local disk in my new server is showing as datastore. Can this be hidden or changed to not be viewable as datastore? I only want to view my SAN datastores.

Many thanks

Steve

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

1) Sounds like a SAN configuration issue - you shoudl be able to see the LUNs if the zoning/masking is correct at the FC switch and storage array -

2) you were able to specify two gate ways because the vmkernel and Service Console were different and assumed to be on different networks - you will only have a single vmkernel gateway - traffic will work as long as they are on the same subnet - a gateway is only used when leaving the subnet

3) I do not think it is possible to hide the local datastore - but I could be wrong

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

1) Sounds like a SAN configuration issue - you shoudl be able to see the LUNs if the zoning/masking is correct at the FC switch and storage array -

2) you were able to specify two gate ways because the vmkernel and Service Console were different and assumed to be on different networks - you will only have a single vmkernel gateway - traffic will work as long as they are on the same subnet - a gateway is only used when leaving the subnet

3) I do not think it is possible to hide the local datastore - but I could be wrong

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Eildon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello, thanks for the reply.

1 - My other hosts can see the SAN datastores OK though. I have setup the zoning on my FC switches, you mention the storage array also. is there something i need to do on there as well?

2 - The thing is, on my 3.5 hosts I have the service console on the same range as my main network. And have the vmkernel on my hosts on a different range. I really am just wondering what is best practice for the new version, in terms of vmkernel and management network??

Thanks again

Steve

0 Kudos
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

For the point 3 you can unmount the local datastore... but in this way you cannot use.

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
Eildon
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Pardon me. I have found mapping on my SAN. I'm new to this Smiley Happy

Will give it a bash and post my results. An answer to my second query on point 2 would be great tho if anyone could oblige

Cheers

Steve

0 Kudos