VMware Cloud Community
jaredman22
Contributor
Contributor

New 6.7 u3b Install- auto installed without user setup prompts, now can't login under root

So I just downloaded the 60 day trial version of vSphere 6.7 u3b on an HP Gen10 dl380. Booted and installed from a usb, but during the install it skipped the entire section where I'm suppose to walk through the setup, create root pwd, etc...it's like it literally auto installed everything on it's own. Now I can't even login through the DCUI since I don't know the root pwd. 

First time experiencing this. Is there a way to reset the root pwd? or am I suppose to install the base 6.7 version first?

Any Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Nawals
Expert
Expert

You have to re-install ESXi is the safest way to set the new password.You can use vendor customized base image and then you can update It.

NKS Please Mark Helpful/correct if my answer resolve your query.
jaredman22
Contributor
Contributor

I've reinstalled it three times, but they all installed the same way. I'll try a vendor customized image or try and get a base 6.7 iso...

Thanks Nawais,

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

In order to install ESXi on a DL380 Gen10 host, you need the HPE custom image which includes the required drivers.

How did you ceate the USB stick? Rufus usually does a good job.

Note that in case you have an iLO Advanced license, you can attach the ISO image as a virtual media, and install ESXi from the iLO remote console.

André.

0 Kudos
jaredman22
Contributor
Contributor

I just created a bootable usb with rufus using the latest HPE custom 6.7U3 iso but on boot, it came up with an error, "menu.c32: not a COM32R image". Yeah I don't have the advanced iLO..unless I try the onboard iLO "Assisted install" setup and try booting from usb there...

0 Kudos
Nawals
Expert
Expert

Why you need to create bootable as HP customized image already bootable iso. You can connect the host via ILO and mount the image and reboot to start installation.

0 Kudos
jaredman22
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, well I created a bootable usb using the HPE Custom ISO. I was able to install it on the server and it allowed me to go through and configure the install and create the root pwd, etc..

I'm good now.

Thanks for your help!!

0 Kudos
Nawals
Expert
Expert

Okay. Thanks for the update.

If your issue resolve please mark helpful or correct

0 Kudos