VMware Cloud Community
marius1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Networking issue

An ESXi (free) standalone server 7.0 is connected to a physical NIC with 2 public IP addresses provided by the provider and belonging to the same subnet (let's say, x.y.z.100/24 and x.y.z.200/24).
I can configure the Management network with each one of the IP addresses and I can connect to the console using the specified address.
I created a Windows VM and connected it to the VM network.
I am unable to navigate from the VM using any IP address.
If I configure the VM with one of the assigned IP addresses I can ping the (other) address of the Management Network (VMKernel vmk0) but cannot ping any other IP address, including the default gateway.
Am I missing any relevant step?
Should I add a TCP/IP stack, a port group or a virtual switch?
Is there any firewall setting I should check?
Regards

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

A reconfiguration (i.e. creating e.g. multiple vSwitches) would likely have been required in case of different subnets.

Now since you are saying that the two IP addresses are in the  same subnet, I assume that you have a /30 subnet (not a /24 as you mentioned in your initial post).

Can you confirm that the there's no typo in the VM's subnet mask?

André

View solution in original post

4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

If I understand you correctly, you have only two IP addresses?
In this case you may use only a single one for the Management, and use the other one for a VM (as you did).
Regarding the network connectivity, it depends on whether these two IP addresses are in the same subnet (i.e. same gateway address), or in different ones. Depending on this, you may need to reconfigure the ESXi host's virtual network configuration.

André

marius1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Many thanks for the quick answer.

The two IP addresses are in the same subnet (same gateway).

what do you mean "you may need to reconfigure the ESXi host's virtual network configuration."?

Regards

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

A reconfiguration (i.e. creating e.g. multiple vSwitches) would likely have been required in case of different subnets.

Now since you are saying that the two IP addresses are in the  same subnet, I assume that you have a /30 subnet (not a /24 as you mentioned in your initial post).

Can you confirm that the there's no typo in the VM's subnet mask?

André

marius1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Many thanks for the answer and for the hints.
Both addresses belong to the same subnet.
I solved the problem by contacting the provider and asking them to check the configuration.
Now I have an IP address used to connect to the ESXi server, and the other one is assigned to a VM connected to the VM Network that can now navigate.
I will replace the VM with a router/firewall VM to allow other VMs navigate.
Regards

0 Kudos