VMware Cloud Community
pamiller3
Contributor
Contributor

Networking Setup

I am currently setting up an ESXi host with one NIC and I need to have access to 3 different subnets through this one NIC.  I have the managment network and two VM networks.  I currently have my connected switch in switchport trunking to the host.  The managment network has connectivity as my computer on a seperate subnet is able to use vSphere.  My other 2 networks have no connectivity (VM Network & DMZ). This diagram should help with any missing description:

Network.png

I appricate any help with this problem.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

Hi - welcome to the community.

Trunking the ports is all good and well, but you need to somehow route between these networks.

Either you'll need a physical router (or 'router on a stick on this case') - or you could consider using a VM appliance to act as your router.

I generally use a Vyatta Appliance - I have a quick walkthrough for setting this up here:

http://www.get-virtual.info/2011/02/18/using-vyatta-as-firewall-in-esxesxi-for-private-network-simul...

but there are many good resources on the web (and alternative appliances)

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
pamiller3
Contributor
Contributor

I apologize I missed that part of my puzzle.  On another end of the switch, there is a port trunking to a router.  This is forming the router on a stick.  Is there anything else I should investigate?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Community -  I would double check the ocnfiguration of the trunk ports on the physical switch to make sure the vlans are identified correctly

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
pamiller3
Contributor
Contributor

Double checked and here is what I have showing:

Network2.png

The top two are my switch of course and the bottom one is the router on the stick.  I appriciate the help, but not quite there yet.

0 Kudos
pamiller3
Contributor
Contributor

I found the solution.  It seems that the VM converter tool did not convert my linux VM's NICs correctly.  With some work I got them back online and the network is working smoothly.  Thanks for your help all!

0 Kudos