VMware Cloud Community
dap
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Networking Question

I am setting a VMware environment in one of my field offices. The office has one vlan. The ESX hosts will connect to two HP Switches. The proposed configuration for the network was the following:

An Etherchannel to each switch containing 4 nics. One Etherchannel will be active and one will be standyby. The load balacing would be route based on ip hash. I received a warning that if the load balancing is route based on ip hash then there can't be any standyby adapters.

What would be the best setup for this configuration?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mediawide
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hi,

you Have two Swith as par your Post, put both ESX host in Different Switch that would help u to Connection redundancy then configured both switch in same VLAN

as par your Convenient

else you put both ESX host in Single switch and configured VLAN on Switch and configured that switch to VLAN accordingly. it's should be in same subnet.

so how u could access both ESX host. best way to use vCenter server

Thanks

Durgesh

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
mediawide
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

How many ESX host u will configuring.

Thanks

Durgesh.

dap
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Two ESX hosts using DAS. The networking will use vDS

0 Kudos
mediawide
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

hi,

you Have two Swith as par your Post, put both ESX host in Different Switch that would help u to Connection redundancy then configured both switch in same VLAN

as par your Convenient

else you put both ESX host in Single switch and configured VLAN on Switch and configured that switch to VLAN accordingly. it's should be in same subnet.

so how u could access both ESX host. best way to use vCenter server

Thanks

Durgesh

0 Kudos
mediawide
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hey dap,

Any Up0dates... u got your point or u still looking for solution..

Thanks

Durgesh

dap
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I configured teh networking as follows:

Two NICs to one switch

Two NICs to a second switch

I configured all the NICs to be part of a vDS and selected Route based on orginating virtual port. All the NICs are active. There is only one vlan at that site so I created on port group on the vDS.

0 Kudos
jcwuerfl
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You wont want to have a standby etherchannel and it doesn't let you know which is a good thing. Read this post to find out why:

http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2009/10/12/active-standby-etherchannels/

Better to include ALL nics in the etherchannel and just have them all be active.

0 Kudos