VMware Cloud Community
RWFnetworking
Contributor
Contributor

Networking Issues

We just installed ESX 4.0 on a blade server, but so far we cannot get connectivity in or out. Anyone that has some experience with HP Blade servers, I would love to hear about your configs. Currently I am seeing eight nics and I have one mapped, but the odd thing is that during the install Networking tested fine and also I selected the 1st NIC in the list and vswif0 is installed on another NIC. Not sure if that is the problem or not.

Robert

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Please post:

esxcfg-vswif -l

and

esxcfg-vswitch -l

Disable the firewall temporarily: esxcfg-firewall -allowIncoming and esxcfg-firewall -allowOutgoing

Can you ping other hosts from the ESX console after doing so?

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

Author @ vmwire.net

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
joshp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How many NICS are actually linked up? If you run esxcfg-nics -l are you able to see all NICS linked as you would expect? Also, confirm the vmnic used for vSwif0 has a link "up" and speed/duplex match what you have configured on your physical switch.

If you are not sure which physical NIC ports on your blade chassis corresponds to which vmnic in VMware you can run "watch -n 1 'esxcfg-nics -l'" from the ESX Service Console or from a vMA appliance which will refresh the esxcfg-nics -l command every 1 second. With the watch command running unplug each physical NIC link one-by-one and document which vmnic link goes DOWN and then back UP when you plug the physical connection back in. This will allow you to determine which physical NIC corresponds with your vSwif0. You can then confirm your physical switchport settings.

VCP 3, 4

www.vstable.com

VCP 3, 4 www.vstable.com
0 Kudos
RWFnetworking
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks guys, but this turned out to be something weird with one of our switches. As soon as I moved the connection to another switch it came up fine. I was told that we had no vlans on our switches, but I suspect that there are still some left. Unfortunately, we do not have access to any of our switches.Funny thing that I noticed though, if you issue a ifconfig on ESX 4.0, it will show all nics as up. If you issue a esxcfg-nics -l it will only show all nics down that are not configured and of course "up" for those that are configured.

Robert

0 Kudos