VMware Cloud Community
kgibb
Contributor
Contributor

Networking Issue: I can not ping the host Server but all other pings are OK

When I added my Server 2008 R2 to vSphere i chose my redundant 10GB connections ( 2 x 10GB connections).

When I ping host name of the server itself (Domain Member to an SBS 2011 Box) I get this weird IP v6 Mac Mac Address:

reply from fe80::c1:b2db:afcc:72b9%11: time:1ms

I tried using all types of NIC. I enven deleted and rebuilt the server. It appears to be a VMware issue with setup but I can not find the the issue easily.

If I put in a local host file it pings ok but that is not the correct to fix.

The 2 DCs Have (SBS 2011 and another as a file server (both are DCs) can resolve themselves and the this last server (domain member) NP.

So DNS appears to be OK.

Anyone ever see this?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Community - So I take it you are not using IP6? How do you have your network configured? Can you ping your DNS servers?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
kgibb
Contributor
Contributor

The network is essentially new. I did an SBS 2003 -> SBS 2011 upgrade. I think I fixed the issue by using the MS Fix it to disable IP v6. Now it seems to ping itself OK. I read through the threads and it appears that the nic will alway try to reply over IP v6 1st... Anyway i will see if this fixes the issues I had

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion

kgibb wrote:

When I ping host name of the server itself (Domain Member to an SBS 2011 Box) I get this weird IP v6 Mac Mac Address:

That is not a MAC address, but instead the autogenerated IPv6 link-local address. Do you have any problem in your environment? Windows 2008 R2 prefers IPv6 over IPv4, and that is likely just what you see.

(I do agree that it does not look good...)  Smiley Happy

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se
0 Kudos