VMware Cloud Community
bulkbiz
Contributor
Contributor

Network uplink redundancy fake alert

Hi there,

Do you all encounter false alert for network uplink redundancy alarms and network connectivity lost? Everytime the alarm triggered, customer will call and request me to check onsite, but the connection was fine and the cable was in good condition. Anything I can do to check what is actually going on with the alarms?

Regards,

bulkbiz

10 Replies
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Do you see any error on switch ports when the alerts are triggered?

You can follow this KB(http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100954...) for troubleshooting

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Can you please provide some details about the network configuration. vSwitch and port group settings, physical switch/port configuration, ...

André

0 Kudos
bulkbiz
Contributor
Contributor

There are no problem with the vswitch or any vmnic connection, everything running just fine. Is just that the alarm will trigger once in a while.

0 Kudos
bulkbiz
Contributor
Contributor

Can you please provide some details about the network configuration. vSwitch and port group settings, physical switch/port configuration, ...

I am using standard vSwitch with two vmnic attached to it, only one port groups. I have physically check the cable connection from the network card to the physical switch, everything is good.

0 Kudos
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Do you notice any flapping issue on Physical switch?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
0 Kudos
jesse_gardner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you ever find a solution to this?  We upgraded from vCenter 4.1 to 5.0U1 last night, and today many of our ESXi 4.1U1 hosts have been having this alert.  I see no evidence of a real problem, they are blades scattered around the datacenter.

0 Kudos
asrarguna
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I am using HP BL685c Blade servers and I am also getting these alerts in the exact order:

Host is not responding error (This causes Red Alarm on the host in vCenter).
3/10/2013 10:23:45 AM
VMs show disconnected (greyed out) and so does the esxi hosts.
Alarm 'Host connection and power state' on esxi-Host changed from Green to Red
info 3/10/2013 10:23:45 AM
Alarm 'Host memory usage' on esxi-Host changed from Green to Gray
Alarm 'Host cpu usage' on esxi-Host changed from Green to Gray
Alarm 'Host service console swap rates' on esxi-Host changed from Green to Gray
Alarm 'Network connectivity lost': an SNMP trap for entity esxi-Host was sent
info 3/10/2013 10:24:06 AM
Alarm 'Network connectivity lost' on esxi-Host triggered an action

Alarm 'Network uplink redundancy lost': an SNMP trap for entity esxi-Host was sent
Alarm 'Network uplink redundancy lost' on esxi-Host triggered an action
The hosts will be back to normal after 3 or 4 seconds and VMs and host that were greyed out will be back to normal.
Thanks,
AG
0 Kudos
asafayan
Contributor
Contributor

AG,

Did you find a solution or root cause of this issue?

TIA,

Amir

0 Kudos
asafayan
Contributor
Contributor

Jesse,

Did you ever find the root cause of these alerts?

TIA,

Amir

0 Kudos
lm31
Contributor
Contributor

I saw a similar issue today at a customer... every 5 minutes this event would be generated. We confirmed DNS and vSwitch settings and verified there were no packets being dropped or errors on the physical NIC.

Tried restarting the management agents on the host but no dice. Finally removing and re-adding the host to vCenter resolved the issue - we waited 10 minutes and the error did not return.