VMware Cloud Community
carlbeck
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Network options greyed out after migrating vmk0 from vSwitch0 to distributed switch

I have a bunch of ESXi 6 hosts, where I would like to move the management interface from the default vSwitch0 to a vDS. However, it seems like the management network gets more or less screwed by this operation

First I tried to just migrate the physical interface and vmkernel to the vds = No luck (configuration resets as the hosts time out)

Then I tried to connect a seconday NIC to the same switch, adding it as a management interface at console, making two interfaces marked as management interfaces. The uplink from vSwitch0 is changed to the new interface and the vds is mapped towards the original management interface. From this point, I can migrate vmk0 to the distributed switch and remove the extra NIC. All good, at least at first glance. The host continues to communicate with vCenter and so on. However, back at the console the options for "Network adapters" and "VLAN (optional)" are greyed out. The only way I have managed to get them back again is a reset of the management network back to default settings.

After som testing forth and back, it seems like those options dissappear as soon as vm0 leaves vSwitch0?

Any idéas of how to fix this?

Tags (4)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

The host continues to communicate with vCenter and so on. However, back at the console the options for "Network adapters" and "VLAN (optional)" are greyed out. The only way I have managed to get them back again is a reset of the management network back to default settings.

I guess this is expected behaviour, because once your vmk0 has been migrated to vDS, now control plane of vDS which is with vCenter server will allow you to modify those settings like Network adapter and VLAN ID etc.

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified

View solution in original post

2 Replies
npadmani
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

The host continues to communicate with vCenter and so on. However, back at the console the options for "Network adapters" and "VLAN (optional)" are greyed out. The only way I have managed to get them back again is a reset of the management network back to default settings.

I guess this is expected behaviour, because once your vmk0 has been migrated to vDS, now control plane of vDS which is with vCenter server will allow you to modify those settings like Network adapter and VLAN ID etc.

Narendra Padmani VCIX6-DCV | VCIX7-CMA | VCI | TOGAF 9 Certified