VMware Cloud Community
yanivamrami
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Network issues...

Hello,

I have a (what seems to be) network problem, and I hope I can find a solution here...

I have 2 VMs (Windows 2008 and Windows 2003, both x64). Both on the same host.

I am trying to copy 500 small text files from a different, physical server and it takes ~30 minutes to complete which doesn't make any sense.

Windows 2008 shows ~500KB/s (which is ~4Mb/s) average...

When I look thru esxtop, I see ~10Mb (total of both MbRx and MbTx), while the bandwidth for that vSwitch is 2Gb(!)

I also see that non of the other VMs on that host utilizing the network bandwidth at all. I see the vSwitch totals almost 100% identical to the VM's totals (in MbRx and MbTx).

I have tried the following:

Use E1000/vmxNet3 NICs. didn't see much (if any improvement). Actually, when changed to vmxNet3 on the Win2003, it got worse.

Migrating both VMs to a different, less occupied ESXi host. still, no improvement.

About the HW configuration / connection:

The host is BL490c G6, within a DRS cluster.

The Blade enclosure switch is an HP Flex10.

I have 1 vSwitch for VM Network only. This vSwitch has 2 FlexNICs connected, each has 2Gb bandwidth, but actually uses 2Gb (and not 4Gb as the 2nd Flex10 uplink is standby).

I have a 8Gb QLogic HBA connected to an HP EVA 8400 using 8 path. The PSP is configured to RR.

My questions are:

1. What else do / can I do to check this? I am sure I am missing something.

2. Why do I see these differences between what Windows shows (4Mb/sec) and esxtop shows (10Mb/sec)?

Thank you,

Yaniv

Please rate helpful / correct answers. Thank you
0 Kudos
0 Replies