VMware Cloud Community
jn865
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Network issue with ESXi 4 VM

Hi,

I am having network problems with one of my ESXi 4 VMs. I have two virtual switches, vSwitch0 and vSwitch1. vSwitch 0 contains the network VM Network and the management network. I have assigned that network an IP address and I can connect to my ESXi host via vSphere Client. vSwitch1 contains the network VM Network 2 and the VM I have created on the host. That network will not respond to pings or Remote Desktop Connections. If I log on to the VM (Win2k8 R2), it cannot ping the default gateway or any other host on the network. I have verified that all IP addresses, gateways, and DNS servers are set properly. If I place the host into the VM Network, it responds to pings and RDCs - VM Network 2equals no dice.

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

from what you describe, either try to replace the network cable or double check the physical switch port settings (e.g. mode access, spanning-tree portfast, ...)

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

from what you describe, either try to replace the network cable or double check the physical switch port settings (e.g. mode access, spanning-tree portfast, ...)

André

0 Kudos
jn865
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the welcome and quick response. Unfortunately the host is at our data center and I do not have access to it. The person who does is working from home today, so I do not think I will have a chance to check that today. I will shoot him an email and see if he has troubleshooted that part or not and get back to this forum.

Cheers

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Yes, have him check the settings. In the meantime - if you are connected to Cisco switches and CDP is enabled - you could click the speech bubble right of the vSwitch to see how at least some of the settings look like.

André

0 Kudos
jn865
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unfortunately we use Extreme Networks switches, and I am not sure if they support a protocol similar to CDP or if it is even enabled.

Does ESXi have support for Extreme Networks switches?

Cheers

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

VMware does not maintain a HCL for switches.It's only the CPD which is integrated. Basically all switches which follow the standards will work.

André

0 Kudos
jn865
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I see. I will wait for a response to the original troubleshooting question and get back here as soon as I find out.

0 Kudos
Walfordr
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

jn865 wrote:

.....If I place the host into the VM Network, it responds to pings and RDCs - VM Network 2equals no dice.

Thanks for the help.

You meant if you place the guest VM (not host) in VM Network it responds correct?

Sounds like the NICs assigned to VM Network 2 is not uplinked correctly, you have the wrong subnetwork in guest VM vs pSwithch or you have a misconfigured VLAN.

Are you working with VLANs or different subnets?  If you are working with a flat network (not best practice) and have multiple NICs on vSwitch0 you can relocate 1 of the NIC to vSwitch1 and disable the others to get going.

Robert

Robert -- BSIT, VCP3/VCP4, A+, MCP (Wow I haven't updated my profile since 4.1 days) -- Please consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.
0 Kudos
jn865
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Howdy Robert,

Yes, my mistake - I meant the VM and not the host (I was very cautious to not mix the two up). Yes we are using VLANs and yes we are using subnetting. However, under the immediate supervision of the system administrator, I plugged them in to the correct ports. I think he checked the ports earlier, but I cannot confirm or deny that. We will probably look more into it tomorrow and get back to the forum here.

Cheers

0 Kudos
jn865
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Today we will be going over to the data center to check the physical connections. I will post here with the results.

0 Kudos
jn865
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That was the issue. Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos