VMware Cloud Community
djciaro
Expert
Expert

Network configuration ESXi 4.0

Hi Guys

I have an issue with ESXi version 4.0 (Build 164009)

I configure the management network with the following network configuration:

IP: 10.7.4.216

Subnet: 255.255.128.0

Gateway: 10.7.1.1

Everything works fine and I can access the ESX via vSphere VI client.

The problem is when I add a new vKernel for NAS and configure the following settings:

IP: 10.6.13.89

Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 10.6.13.1

I lose connectivity to the management network as the gateway is changed to 10.6.13.1

NAS should work as I can ping 10.6.13.89 and I get a reply, however I need to change the gateway back to 10.7.1.1 to be able to access the management network and I lose the possibility to use the NAS network.

In ESX3 I was able to configure 2 default gateway for both the management console and the vKernel.

Any suggestions please?

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!
0 Kudos
6 Replies
BKarciauskas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you tried following the steps on page 20 of the ESXi 4 admin guide and set a gateway for both the kernal and management ports? Pay particular attention to step 11 d.

Cheers, Ben Karciauskas Blog - http://karciauskas.wordpress.com
djciaro
Expert
Expert

On the Routing tab, the service console and the VMkernel each need their own gateway information.

A gateway is needed for connectivity to machines not on the same IP subnet as the service console or

VMkernel. The default is static IP settings.

Problem is I can only set 1 Gateway (see attached)

0 Kudos
robert_eckdale
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am seeing the exact same behavior.

djciaro
Expert
Expert

Hi Guys,

I submitted a support request to VMware and they said that a default gateway for vmKernel is not required as long as the IP addresses for management network and vmKernel are on the same subnet.

I have tested using the default gateway that I have for the management network 10.7.1.1 and it works: I can access the NAS correctly.

I find to get my head around this as I thought that any the vmKernel would need a gateway especially if the networks are seperate!

I have asked VMware to update the official documentation is updated as the following line causes

confusion: (for me at least)

11. d On the Routing tab, the service console and the vmKernel each need their own gateway information.

(ref. page 20: )

0 Kudos
BKarciauskas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Glad you got it sorted.

I guess that it makes sense. In your case it works because the vkernel IP address is on the same subnet as your storage so it won't need to route. But what happens if it isn't? Granted routing storage traffic isn't recommended but still....

Cheers, Ben Karciauskas Blog - http://karciauskas.wordpress.com
0 Kudos
djciaro
Expert
Expert

Well according to VMware it needs to be on the same subnet otherwise its a no go!

I imagine there are lots of environments using different subnets for their NAS... sorry guys no ESXi if you have!

0 Kudos