VMware Cloud Community
vmvn01
Contributor
Contributor

Network adapter type for virtual machine

Hi,

I am facing a strange thing when I am trying to create a new ethernet adapter for a virtual machine: I am want to create a VMXNET3 ethernet adapter type but in Add hardware for network connection dialog has E1000 for adapter type only, and nothing else to chose.

That virtual machine is a Oracle Linux 6.3 OS and has VM version 7.

We are using vSphere 5.5u1 version.

Others which running on OL6.3 also are normal, that means I can create a new ether adapter for vmxnet3 type. So please help me to understand which causes that.

Thank you very much

0 Kudos
9 Replies
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Well that's a strange issue. Since both the VM HW version and also the OS compatibility are both met.

have you tried both web client and C# client?

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
Sateesh_vCloud

Welcome to the Community,

Can you migrate the VM to another ESXi host and try to add?

I saw this behavior in my LAB setup.

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Follow me @ www.vmwareguruz.com Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful T. Sateesh VCIX-NV, VCAP 5-DCA/DCD,VCP 6-NV,VCP 5 DCV/Cloud/DT, ZCP IBM India Pvt. Ltd
0 Kudos
vmvn01
Contributor
Contributor

I have tried with Web Client and/or migrated VM to another host also, the result is the same: nothing to chose other than E1000 type.

0 Kudos
Alistar
Expert
Expert

Hi,

is the Guest OS type chosen properly in VM settings? Compare it to the other VMs where you can apply your VMXNET3 adapter.

Stop by my blog if you'd like 🙂 I dabble in vSphere troubleshooting, PowerCLI scripting and NetApp storage - and I share my journeys at http://vmxp.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
bf1967
Contributor
Contributor

Have you installed the VMWare Tools on the virtual machines? AFAIK the VMXNET3 network drivers come with the VMWARE Tools.

0 Kudos
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If you don't have tools the VMXNET3 will not work. But will show up while building the machine. it has nothing to do with tools AFAIK.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
JPM300
Commander
Commander

I saw this issue with Orchestrator before, when orchestrating the building of VM's it would only allow the E1000, I had to create a custom workflow to fix it.

Does changing the OS type on the VM make any difference?  Have you tried with the vSphere 5.5 Update 2 C# client? Does it have the same issue?

0 Kudos
vmvn01
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, thanks for your replies,

The OS type selected correctly from settings. We have a OL6.3 template, so whenever we want to have a new virtual machine we deploy from that template.

I compared the issue VM's settings with others that were deployed from same template, no abnormal appeared.

Also the issue VM has running vmware tool. I am don't use 5.5u2 web client yet, but I am wondering about that strange issue.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Are you sure that your VM has a PCI-express port ?
If it has only PCI-ports adding LSI-SAS controllers or vmxnet3 or e1000e nics may be impossible

0 Kudos