VMware Cloud Community
a_sand
Contributor
Contributor

Network adapter does not detected

I have added Intel x722 10Gb adapter into my server.

ESXi (from 6.0 to 7.0) doesn't detect this adapter. The adapter doesn't appeared nor in Networking nor in Hardware list (also lspci). I have tried Live Linux on this machine - network adapter detected correctly. I have tried Windows Server installed onto this host - network adapter detected. How I can force ESXi to detect the adapter?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Intel ships several different x722 models, i.e. it's important to find out which exact model you have.

You can find supported models at VMware Compatibility Guide - I/O Device Search. Once you select one of them, it shows the Vendor-ID, Device-ID, ..., and supported firmware version.

In case you find your exact model, it may be required to download, and install additional drivers (or inject them into the installation image).

André

0 Kudos
ashilkrishnan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi

If the adapter is compatible, then it's a firmware/driver issue. You can find the driver and recommended firmware version here -->

VMware Compatibility Guide - I/O Device Search

VMware Knowledge Base

Firmware version can be checked through the hardware UI(iLO, KVM, iDRAC). Once firmware is confirmed, install driver followed by reboot of ESXi host

Hope that helps

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hey @a_sand,

As you can see here in this article from Intel, your NIC card uses the driver i40en based on your NIC model: Intel® Ethernet Adapters Compatibility with VMware*

If you go inside the VMware Compaitiblity Matrix and search for the keyword X722 you will find bunch of different models but most of them uses the same i40en driver: VMware Compatibility Guide - I/O Device Search.​ I would recommend starting with this one: VMware Compatibility Guide - I/O Device Search.

There you will have which driver with which firmware version works. In case this is the only NIC you have an because of this issue you cannot copy the drivers inside the ESXi i would recommend to install the driver manually mounting an ISO an following the next procedure: https://9to5it.com/install-drivers-esxi-host/

Let us know how it goes!

0 Kudos
a_sand
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

all recomendations based on the correct VID and DID info for the hardware. It's ok. There is command "lspci" as part of device ID determination. It's also recomended in KB VMware Knowledge Base . But lspci does not show my NIC in the list. I think it's a root cause of the problem. PCI slot working. It's tested by installing different OS. I have write down VID (8086) and DID (37d0) for my adapter when running different OS. I can't understand why lspci does not enumerate my NIC (((

0 Kudos
a_sand
Contributor
Contributor

lspci and esxcli hardware pci stops at address 0000:1a:00 but my adapter hawe address 0000:1c:00

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I can't unfortunately tell you why the lspci version that's included in ESXi doesn't list the device.

However, what may be worth a try is to run

grep -i "37d0" /var/log/vmkernel.log -A 2 -B 2

to see whether it is detected anyway, and/or install the required driver that's listed in the HCL for your ESXi version, and the adapter's firmware.

André

0 Kudos