VMware Cloud Community
CSllama
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Network Speed from Software iSCSI to the SPs

Should the network speed be the same from the NICs on the ESXi hosts through the switch to the storage? I currently have 1GB NICs on the ESXi hosts going to the Nexus switches then 10GB from the Nexus switches to the VNX SPs.

Thanks in advance.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It does not need to be equal end to end.  However, if its not, obviously you will be limited by the performance of the slowest link.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community - I am not sure I understand your question - the network bandwidth between the ESXi host and the NExus switch will be 1 GB the bandwidth between the NExus switch and your SAN will be 10 GB - in an ideal world the most that your iSCSI traffic will ever occuoy is 1 GB

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It does not need to be equal end to end.  However, if its not, obviously you will be limited by the performance of the slowest link.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
CSllama
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks, this was what I was looking for - I knew it was limited to the slowest link but was curious about the entire speed from end to end, if it needed to be the same.

0 Kudos