VMware Cloud Community
hansis
Contributor
Contributor

Network Problem with Backup Exec and ESX 4.1

Hello!

I have a HP ML360G6-Server as Backup-Server and 2 HP-DL385G1 installed with ESX4.1 in the second Server-Room.

In the first Server-Room I make the backups of the virtual machines and want to restore the virtual machines on the second site. At the Restore I gat a bandwidth of about 145MB/Min.

When I copy a big file from a virtual machine to the backup server I get a bandwidth of 6.700MB/Min.

The same file copying from backup server to the virtual machine I get a bandwidth of 6.700MB/Min.

What can I do?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

145MB/Min should be the speed from tape drive right? seems too good,

0 Kudos
hansis
Contributor
Contributor

yes 145MB/min is the rate from Tape to ESX-Server. And this is too slow!

0 Kudos
hansis
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone an idea?

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

loooks good from my end. what if you do a restoration to a physical server. this would then allow you to see if the virtual is being healthy or not.

0 Kudos
hansis
Contributor
Contributor

At a restore to a local drive I have the same low speed because the redirection must be over a virtualcenter or esx-server.

0 Kudos
Hieu_Cao
Contributor
Contributor

Do you have a virutal center at each site or is it located in the 1st site only?

Are you running the same Backup Exec at both sites?  You can send the backup tape from the 1st site to the 2nd site, then merge/catalog it the BE at the 2nd site and do the restore that way, if it's too slow to restore across 1 Gbit connection beween these 2 sites.

0 Kudos
hansis
Contributor
Contributor

Hello!

I have Backup Exec on both sites. On the 2nd site I merge the tape to Cataloge. So the restore is made from the 2nd BE-Server to the 2nd VirtualCenter.

thx

Hansi

0 Kudos