VMware Cloud Community
phillewis
Contributor
Contributor

Network Issues - ESXi 5

Hi,

I have installed ESXi 5 fine on a bespoke system but the onboard NIC is not recognised so I bought HP NC373T PCI which is on the HCL. The Management Network settings show the device as being connected but won't pick up an IP address through DHCP and even if I set the Network settings manually, I cant see the ESX host or ping out from it.

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Thanks

Phil

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Rynardts
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Phil,

Have you selected the correct vmnic to be added to the vSwitch containing the Management Network (vmk0)? On a fresh ESXi install you will have to select the appropriate vmnic to be used with the management network.

Also, are you using VLANs? If the vmnic that is connected to the management network is connected to a physical switch that is forwarding packets tagged with VLAN IDs (an 802.1q VLAN TRUNK) then you will also have to specify the VLAN ID on the management network port group.

Regards

Rynardt Spies VCP | VCAP-DCA#50 | VCAP-DCD#129 www.virtualvcp.com
0 Kudos
phillewis
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Rynardts,

I disabled the onboard NIC so there is only one nic showing in the config screen. It shows as being connected, indeed it will show as disconnected if I remove the network cable, it just doesnt seem to obtain an IP address through DHCP. I plugged the cable into my laptop to ensure the router was working ok and sure enough my laptop obtained an ipaddress. For some reason my ESXi host won't.

I've not set any VLANs, im trying to use a basic as possible flat network. Strangely tho, when I first installed ESXi it was working fine but then just stopped working and I didnt have any network connectivity. I've tried reinstalling ESXi but with no joy......seems very strange when the network config screen show the NIC as being connected but wont pick up an IP address and still no network connectivity if I set it manually.

Thanks for your help

Phil

0 Kudos