VMware Cloud Community
rlp62
Contributor
Contributor

Network Driver/setup Problem in Guest

I am having a problem with two(2) of my guests, On the one guest vmxnet is installed and running fine, but when we go to make changes to the IP address on the card, we can not see the TCP/IP stack at all, on other guest we can not get ANY of the NIC's to work or install.

The two(2) guest are win 2k3 x86 std with sp2.

When we try to install the drivers we get: windows could not install the drivers error, we can see the card in hardware manager but that is it.

It sits in Other Devices.

We have tried all the NIC types that come with vShpere with no luck.

Flex

e1000

vmxnet(2)

vmxnet 3

I need to get this fixed asap, please help.

Thanks

0 Kudos
13 Replies
jayolsen
Expert
Expert

Silly question, but do you have VMware tools installed?

0 Kudos
rlp62
Contributor
Contributor

Yep installed and uninstalled three times still no luck, I just tried reinstalling sp2 for 2k3 and still no joy.

0 Kudos
jayolsen
Expert
Expert

Have you tried pointing to the tools CD and then in device manager point the driver install to the CD-drive? Mount the CD by doing an interactive tools install and it should show up in the drive.

0 Kudos
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Does the VMs migrated from a legacy ESX host? if so, make sure that the VM hardware is upgraded before Tools upgrade.

VCP3, VCP4, RHCE, EMCPA

0 Kudos
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Does the VMs migrated from a legacy ESX host? if so, make sure that the VM hardware is upgraded before Tools upgrade.

VCP3, VCP4, RHCE, EMCPA

0 Kudos
Sreejesh_D
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

VCP3, VCP4, RHCE, EMCPA

0 Kudos
rlp62
Contributor
Contributor

Haven't tried that will keep you up to date on this one.

Thanks

0 Kudos
rlp62
Contributor
Contributor

These where a P2V, the first one is working fine we just can not make any changes to ip, as it does not appear in the props.

The secound is a clone of the first.

Now we have done this on many of the guest that we have and these two(2) are our only problem.( and of course we need these the most)

Thanks

0 Kudos
jayolsen
Expert
Expert

Oh, check this link then. http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-11398 get rid of any hidden nics

0 Kudos
rlp62
Contributor
Contributor

Try that article now.

0 Kudos
rlp62
Contributor
Contributor

No joy! from the artical

0 Kudos
rlp62
Contributor
Contributor

Ok all I am getting is a Code 31 from server when it tries to load the drivers for the NIC.

0 Kudos
sathyajith
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This looks like a possible issue when you do p2v of MS OS (regardless of the hypervisor). Please use the below link that elaborates a few methods of removing the corrupt drivers.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/thread/271229da-2f07-405b-ab24-0612...

Regards

Jith

0 Kudos