ankitcdac
Contributor
Contributor

Network Adapter problem

Hi all,

I am installing vmware esxi 5.0 on a machine with following specification:

RAM:8 GB

Processor: intel(R)core i5-2400 cpu@3.10 GHz

Network adapter: 1 x 1GB                      Intel(R) 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection

Hard Disk: 500 GB

Operating System: Windows 7

while installing i got error :

either your network adapter in not physically connected or install driver, or you may install third party driver.

but network adapter is physically connected in my machine.

pls help me in resolving this problem.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Sounds like your NIC is not supported.  ESX is limited in what kind of hardware is supported, check the HCL:

vmware.com/go/hcl

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
Virtualinfra
Commander
Commander

I thing your trying to install ESXi 5 directly on to laptop or desktop in your home computer.. ESXi is hardware specfic compatability is important.

it wont detect INTEL 82579 or 8256X NIC. because its not in the compatablity list of VMware.

better login to windows7 OS.. install vmware workstation.. create VM with ESX install specification and install there to practise lab.

Make sure you enable VT/VT-X in bios to install ESXi on VMware workstation.

Thanks & Regards Dharshan S VCP 4.0,VTSP 5.0, VCP 5.0
ankitcdac
Contributor
Contributor

My network adaptor specification is     Intel(R) 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection

that means  my network adaptor is not supported by ESXi 5.0

0 Kudos
Virtualinfra
Commander
Commander

YOu can do one thing.. you can install ESXi4.0 directly on you machine, because it has got drivers for the NIC with those versions.

So go head and try that..

0 Kudos
ankitcdac
Contributor
Contributor

Hi darshan,

thnx for reply

and can i install ESXi4.1 instead of 4.0.

does ESXi4.1 support Intel(R) 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection Network adapter.

regards

ankit

0 Kudos
Virtualinfra
Commander
Commander

Yes you can install 4.1 also, but you need to install the NIC driver for intel 82579lm manually refer below link for the white box update.

http://www.vm-help.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=11181#p11181

0 Kudos
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

The e1000 server adapters are fairly cheap.  I've found several when I was building my lab for less than $30, with dual ports.

But, if you're ok with 4.x, then go with that.  We still run 4.1 in production.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I've run into this same card on my whitebox servers at home. http://wahlnetwork.com/2012/03/13/building-esxi-5-whitebox-home-lab-servers/

This thread contains an ESXi 5 driver for the Intel 82579LM and 82579V cards. You can create an ESXi 5 ISO image using image builder, add the vib file provided in this link, and use it for install. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1607992&page=6

Verified working on my ESXi 5.0u1 servers.

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators
0 Kudos
JHP_1337
Contributor
Contributor

The simplest way to add the driver Intel 82579 LM to a ESXi 5 Installation CD is to use the ESXi-Customizer from the following page. By the way you can get the driver on this site too.

Just take a look at here :

http://www.ivobeerens.nl/2011/12/13/vmware-esxi-5-whitebox-nic-support/

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi ankitcdac

Welcome to the communites

You are rigt that your NIC is not supported by esxi.

to over come this problem you can add additional NIC which should listed in HCL list .

"Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoe."
0 Kudos
JHP_1337
Contributor
Contributor

Nice try but in HCL List is no Intel 82579 Driver listed, when i look right.

0 Kudos
KurianOfBorg
Contributor
Contributor

The motherboard (Intel S1200BTS) is even on the ESXi 5 HCL but one of the NICs don't work.

0 Kudos