VMware Cloud Community
SamiEMC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Netspp Old Storage and VMWARE Cluster Questions

Hello

I have seen a NETAPP FAS 2020 old storage connected and confiigured with 4.1 cluster

Customer is polanning to install new vcenter and ESXi 5 new hosts and want to migrate VMs to new Cluster and get rid of the old one due to some old hosts issues

I heared some gossips that Sharing Storage on Netapp old storages may cause some strange issues and may cause some vms to get corrupted

is that correct ? any known strange issues ?

shouldnt sharing storage be the correct way to migrate the vms safely to the new ESXi's

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
FL0G
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This is exactly the way i use to migrate VMs to a new cluster. I've done that a couple of times (also with Netapp Storage and ESXi 3.5/4.x/5.0) and never had corrupted VMs. Thats what VMFS is designed for.

Of course, i would not share a LUN to ESXi hosts between different vCenters as final configuration but for migration it is reasonable.

You only have to know that:

- Do not upgreade to VMFS5 until all ESXi4 hosts are disconnected.

- Storage I/O Control does not work accross multiple vCenters.

- migrate does not mean "vMotion" but: power off > remove from inventory > add to inventory > power on (of course...)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
FL0G
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

This is exactly the way i use to migrate VMs to a new cluster. I've done that a couple of times (also with Netapp Storage and ESXi 3.5/4.x/5.0) and never had corrupted VMs. Thats what VMFS is designed for.

Of course, i would not share a LUN to ESXi hosts between different vCenters as final configuration but for migration it is reasonable.

You only have to know that:

- Do not upgreade to VMFS5 until all ESXi4 hosts are disconnected.

- Storage I/O Control does not work accross multiple vCenters.

- migrate does not mean "vMotion" but: power off > remove from inventory > add to inventory > power on (of course...)

0 Kudos