VMware Cloud Community
prutter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Netowrking Issue

For some reason all of the sudden my server in the DMZcan no longer get internet access.  swapped switches and doublechecked the firewall settings.  The nic is connected on the VM with the same IP it had for past 4 months.  When i look at teh properties of the network adapter on the virtual switch that it's on, it says NONE for Observed IP range.  The nic says connected and speed is 1000FD.  Any idea where to look for the connection issue??  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
firestartah
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi

Try esxtop to the affected server and make sure traffic is coming down the network ports correctly as the showing of none can happen if EtherChannelling has been configured incorrectly

Gregg

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Gregg http://thesaffageek.co.uk

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
firestartah
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi

It sounds like a physical switching problem rather than something related to your virtual environment in my opinion. Maybe get your networking guy to check that the correct links are working and up between your server and the internet.

Gregg

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Gregg http://thesaffageek.co.uk
prutter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

After all the troubleshooting yesterday i would tend tobelieve that so i swapped teh switch this morning adn still no luck.

0 Kudos
firestartah
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi

Try esxtop to the affected server and make sure traffic is coming down the network ports correctly as the showing of none can happen if EtherChannelling has been configured incorrectly

Gregg

0 Kudos
BharatR
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi,

Can u Confirm the hardware physically which is connected eg (Switch,Server)

Best regards, BharatR--VCP4-Certification #: 79230, If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

May seem strange, but have you verified layer 2 / layer 3 connectivity?  Can you ping other vm's in the same subnet, and can you ping the gateway that supports that subnet?

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
0 Kudos
prutter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Very odd behavior.  I tried a third switch and got it to work. I finished reinstalling my View Security server and completed that.  Made sure that it was all working then i had to plug the old switch back in so that the other server on that switch was active adn now they all work.  I tried rebootind that switch many times.  The only thing i didn;t do wsa unplug all the ports.  Nothing else was done.  It's back to the way it was.  I'm at a loss!!  Thanks for the help guys.

0 Kudos
srnhpp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

How it works in third switch why not second switch.

Thant means your second switch was faulty and first one as well?

Have you find any other problem on your network. It may happens that you will go through this type of problem again. So you have to look carefully.

0 Kudos
prutter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The way it sits right now is that my Security server is back on the original switch. (switch1).  That's why i am puzzled.

0 Kudos