VMware Cloud Community
spikfrank
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Nested VM Unable to Ping/Communicate with Anything Outside of the Host

Setup: I have a nested VM setup where I have 2 Hyper-V 2016 hosts running on top of ESXi 7.0, for a lab environment. The nested VM's are running just fine.

Problem: The nested VM's can only ping/communicate with their hosts. They cannot ping anything outside of their hosts, not even the NAT firewall they successfully receive DHCP addresses from.

I thought maybe the problem had to do with needing to configuring Mac Address Spoofing on the ESXi virtual switch, but it seems I already the it enabled under "Allow MAC Changes" security setting.

Any ideas?

I ruled out firewalls as a potential source of the problem. I narrowed the issue down to a network problem thats being caused by the nesting of the VM's. Because I have a physical hyper-v host with a VM configured using the same default way, and it can communicate with the network just fine.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
spikfrank
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just to clarify for anyone who might come across this post, in order to have a Hyper-V host work properly on top of an ESXi 7.0 host, you need these 4 things enabled:

On the ESXi host, you need the following enabled on the virtual switch:

- Allow Promiscuous Mode

- Allow Forged Transmits

- Allow MAC Changes

On the Hyper-V host, you need the following enabled on the network adapter of the VM:

- MAC Address Spoofing

View solution in original post

4 Replies
spikfrank
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

i fixed it! I had to enable promiscuous mode on the virtual switch.

0 Kudos
spikfrank
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just to clarify for anyone who might come across this post, in order to have a Hyper-V host work properly on top of an ESXi 7.0 host, you need these 4 things enabled:

On the ESXi host, you need the following enabled on the virtual switch:

- Allow Promiscuous Mode

- Allow Forged Transmits

- Allow MAC Changes

On the Hyper-V host, you need the following enabled on the network adapter of the VM:

- MAC Address Spoofing

johndoe_
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

In case someone else finds this post, I had done all those four things but networking still didn't work in the VM's inside the Hyper-V VM.

Finally turned off all the VM's in the Hyper-V VM, and then turned off Hyper-V VM. And after restarting the Hyper-V VM and its VMs those nested VM's started working with static IP addresses. For some reason DHCP still doesn't work with the nested VMs but static IP is good enough for me so I don't think I will investigate more of that.

0 Kudos
yugandhar_anamu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After enabled mentioned options under vSwitch > VM Network. I am able to ping VM's hosted in Nested Virtulization in Hyper-V

- Allow Promiscuous Mode

- Allow Forged Transmits

- Allow MAC Changes

- MAC Address Spoofing

Thank you for providing solution update.

0 Kudos