VMware Cloud Community
afqazi
Contributor
Contributor

Nested ESXi Networking issue

Hi,

I am trying to setup a nested Esxi Lab Environment. The Physical Box has four NICS and connected to a Stacked Cisco 3750 Switch. Master ESXi host has IP Address 10.0.20.80. Two Nics are connected to the vSwitch0 of the Master host.  I don't have any issues on that.

The issue is with the Nested Esxi Hosts. I have connected the other two Physical uplinks to vSwitch1 in the Master Host. The physical ports are in trunk mode and VLAN 26, 27, 28 have been allowed. The IP  Addresses are respectively 10.0.26.0/24, 10.0.27.0/24 and 10.0.28.0/24. I have to allocate VLAN 26 for Management Network for Nested ESXI Hosts, Vlan 27 for VMs within nested ESXi Hosts and VLAN 28 for iSCSI Traffic which is being delivered from an Openfiler SAN setup in the Master ESXi Host.

For the Nested Esxi, I have defined three port group as such:

1. ESXi Management -> VLAN 26

2. ESXi VM Network -> VLAN 27

3. IP Storage - VLAN 28

I have added six network adapters in Nested ESXi Host and allocated in the above three Port Groups (a screenshot has been provided). Surprisingly when I open vSwitch1, in all three port groups the NICs that have been allocated have same MAC Address (a screenshot has been provided).

From the Nested ESXi host I can reach all three network but from the VM installed within the Nested ESXi host, I can not reach any network.

I have searched a lot on the issue but couldn't find suitable answer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Faisal

0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

you may have to enable Promiscuous Mode and Forged Transmit

Please have a look

http://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2013/11/why-is-promiscuous-mode-forged.html

0 Kudos
afqazi
Contributor
Contributor

I already did that. But nothing changed.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Where exactly are you tagging the traffic? If you set the VLAN-IDs on the physical host's port groups, then must not configure VLAN-IDs on the virtual ESXi host anymore. If you want to tag the traffic on the virtual host, then you may need to configure the port groups on the physical host's port groups with VLAN-ID 4095.

André

0 Kudos