VMware Cloud Community
Intel233
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Nested ESXi 6 on Dell Poweredge R710

This is for a lab environment.    I have ESXi 6 installed on the Dell R710 on a USB flash drive.  This has 72GB Ram and 10TB storage.  I wanted to create an additional 2-3 esxi machines to show VSAN/DRS and various other features.  Every time I try to setup a nested esxi I get it cant find any network adapters.  I am not sure what I am doing wrong as the main esxi finds all the nics just fine and I am booting from the same custom dell esxi cd.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

What type of virtual NIC did you select for the nested ESXi hosts? For ESXi 6.0 select either VMXNET3 (preferred), or E1000 network adapters when you configure the virtual hardware. Also use VMware's default ESXi installation image for the virtual hosts.

André

Moderator note: Discussion moved from VI: VMware ESXi™ 3.5 to VMware ESXi 6

0 Kudos
Intel233
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ok I got ESXi installed with the NIC.  My issue now is that I cant seem to install a 64 Bit VM on it.  I get:

Perferred mode unavailable.  Using binary translation instead.

Failed to start this virtual machine. This virtual machine is configured for 64-bit guest operating system.  However, 64 bit operation is not possible. This host does not support Intel VT-x.

I have other 64 bit machines already created on the main ESXi.  This is just happening in the nested.

Virtualization tech is enabled in the bios and on my main ESXI (the one installed on USB and booted off of) I am able to create 64 bit machines.  I believe this is because I have this nested but I should be able to create a VM inside a nested ESXi. 

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Add vhv.enable = "TRUE" to the ESXi VM's configuration (.vmx) file, and reload the configuration (see http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1026043) before powering on the ESXi VM again.

André

0 Kudos