VMware Cloud Community
WallaceTech
Contributor
Contributor

Nested ESXi 5.5

Guys.

I am thinking that I would like to try nested ESXi for home setup / testing etc. My motherboard can only handle 32GB of RAM and so am i am thinking that i am going to burn 12GB of ram straight away?

4GB for the physical ESXi host

4GB for the first nested ESXi

4GB for the second nested ESXi

Any advice welcome.

VCP 5 www.wallacetech.co.uk
0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

You forgot to add the memory required for vCenter Server (8GB-12GB). Anyway, I'm currently running my home lab with 16GB which works fine for basic lab purposes. However, I'm often maxing out the memory, so my recommendation is to go with the 32GB, which should be ok for most lab setups.

André

0 Kudos
WallaceTech
Contributor
Contributor

Good point on the vCenter although i might run this on a physical box because of memory constraints. That would only leave me with 10GB per host that i could use. Might not be enough especially for DRS and vMotion.

VCP 5 www.wallacetech.co.uk
0 Kudos
lakshya32
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Welcome to communities.

you need to assign RAM as per recommended by OS and application , 12 GB RAM you can only run few machine .

0 Kudos
vfk
Expert
Expert

As you using this for home lab you don't need to assing 12GB of RAM, you can run it with a less ram.

--- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. vfk Systems Manager / Technical Architect VCP5-DCV, VCAP5-DCA, vExpert, ITILv3, CCNA, MCP
0 Kudos