VMware Cloud Community
ichhu
Contributor
Contributor

Nested ESXi 5.5 on ESxi 5.5

Here is a quick update on the Nested ESXi enviornment I am trying to build on my production cluster.

I have a vDS port group created and Set all security on that port group promiscuous mode : accept , MAC Address Changes : accept and Forged Transmits: Accept and disable the windows firewall on the source VM. I followed this link to install the nested ESXI : http://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2012/08/how-to-enable-nested-esxi-other.html and the hardware version selected is 9 and ESxi5.1 later and I am using ESXi 5.5 build 3116895. I confirmed with my networking team there are unable to see the MAC of the nested ESXi in the physical switch whereas the windows VM is ruining fine it is visible in the switch .Nested ESXi VM is using E1000 adapter and VMWARE tools not updated. With the same configuration mean subnet gateway and DNS set to 8.8.8.8 traceroute to 8.8.8.8 works for the windows VM but fails for the nested ESXi VM. Also I have both the VM's on the same host and have tried disabling the ecurity on that port group promiscuous mode : accept , MAC Address Changes : accept and Forged Transmits: Accept and disable the windows firewall on the source VM. But still there is no connectivity between the 2 VM's i.e windows VM and the nested ESXi .

Please advise

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TechMassey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Could you expand on the issue description? I can't tell if you have two nested VMs or one non-nested and one nested. Best to separate out each piece and list its network connectivity, Nested ESXi host, Windows VM, VM 2.

Please help out! If you find this post helpful and/or the correct answer. Mark it! It helps recgonize contributions to the VMTN community and well me too 🙂
0 Kudos
HarjitSB
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello ichhu,

There is an another article which states the resolution for the same kind of issue, hope it may help u.

How to set up a nested vSphere 6 environment - Part 1

Rgds

-Harjit

vmwars.wordpress.com

at-least like if found useful.

0 Kudos
TechMassey
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I'm actually referring to your description of the environment you built. Right now you have it as a large paragraph with a lot of pieces and I'm not certain where each VM is located, nested ESXi host or physical host.

Please help out! If you find this post helpful and/or the correct answer. Mark it! It helps recgonize contributions to the VMTN community and well me too 🙂
0 Kudos