VMware Cloud Community
LouReed4
Contributor
Contributor

Nested 64-bits VMs

Hello,

(Specifications of my hardware: Laptop Packard Bell EasyNote TE with the processor AMD E1-1200 , and Windows 8 64bits, with 8GB RAM)

I would to ask the following question:

I have just download vsphere ESXi 5.1 and installed within WMWare 8 Workstation, because at first I wanted to try before installing it in a server.

I succefully installed ESXi 5.1 within VMWare WorkStation but an error appears saying something like I need to have AMD-V for nested virtualization.

I have reviewed the specifications of my processor (AMD E1-1200 ) and it supports such Hardware virtualization Technology called AMD-V.

Found this tool in vmware.com: "VMware-guest64check-5.5.0-18463" ; which checks if your machine is able to run a 64-bit guest operating system, and clearly enough I obtain this message:

"VMWare 64-bit Compatibility check failed: This Host is not capable of running a 64-bit guest operating system under this VMWare Product."

I really don't know why I can install ESXi 5.1 within WMWare 8 Workstation. Well, I can but it doesn't let me install 64-bit operating system as guests.

I read over and over again the requirements and I don't find what I am missing.

My BIOS doesn't have an option to enable or disable AMD-V, but through a research on google I have found, as aforementioned, that my processor has AMV-D Hardware Virtualization.

The last thing I read this morning is that AMD-RVI was also required, and I don't find anywhere that my processor (amd E1-1200) has that.

I am really struggling with this, because moreover and I have worked with WorkStation but never before with ESX

Thanks in advance!

7 Replies
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert

AMD-RVI is a requirement for 64 bit nested VM's

It will not work otherwise. The below settings are what I used for my setup on a Supermicro with AMD Opteron running Windows 7 and Workstation 9

virtuallyGhetto: How to Enable Nested ESXi & Other Hypervisors in vSphere 5.1

Do remember to mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answer your query!
LouReed4
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks a lot!

I followed your directions and the value of nestedHVSupported is "FALSE".

So, my brand new laptop is just useless to try any 64-bit based software ( virtually all of them nowadays!! ) inside VMWorkstation 8 ! , just great. :smileyconfused:

Again: Thanks a lot a_nut_in for your invaluable help!

0 Kudos
LouReed4
Contributor
Contributor

I have just run into this tool: Technical Download Details</title> <meta name="keywords" content=" " /...

It is a little software that when executed indicates that my laptop hasn't "AMD-V" enabled.

So, even though my processor (AMD E1-1200) has that feature, I can't enable it because there is not such option in my BIOS.

Thanks a lot again!

0 Kudos
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert

You could try a BIOS upgrade and check

Do remember to mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answer your query!
LouReed4
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks again a_nut_in ,

I guess it's my only way out ?

Thanks for your time!!

P.S: I have never performed a BIOS upgrade, believe it or not. People say it is dangerous, but I'll look into that posibility.

0 Kudos
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert

Would be best to contact the hardware vendor to help you with that as an incorrect BIOS upgrade would be difficult to recover from

LouReed4
Contributor
Contributor

I'll do so then.

I really appreciate your assistance :smileygrin:

0 Kudos