VMware Cloud Community
rajendran2005
Contributor
Contributor

Need script to Disable Floppy drive Controller inside Win7 VM BIOS setting.

Hi All,

We have Vsphere 5.0 hosting Win7 Desktop. We using Single master image to create VMs for multiple Department. on master Image we have removed floppy device from Vm setting and Disable floppy drive controller on BIOS. But when we create VM from master image Floppy drive controller getting enabled on BIOS.

We need some script to disable Floppy drive controller inside BIOS setting. There are around 1000 VMs we need to disable floppy drive controller manually inside BIOS, IF we have any script can automate will be very help full.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
vfk
Expert
Expert

Your best option is to use PowerCLI to remove the floppy drive all together as you don't have in your base image anyway. A simple script like...

$floppy = Get-FloppyDrive -VM VM

Remove-FloppyDrive -Floppy $floppy

--- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider the use of the Helpful or Correct buttons to award points. vfk Systems Manager / Technical Architect VCP5-DCV, VCAP5-DCA, vExpert, ITILv3, CCNA, MCP
0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi rajendran2005, and welcome to the VMware Communities!

I don't have any immediate advice... Hopefully vfk is leading you in the right direction.  But I am interested to know how you deployed those virtual machines?  Are you using a clone operation, or an OVF deployment, or something else?

Thanks,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
rajendran2005
Contributor
Contributor

Dear Vfk, Thanks for prompt respond. Remove-FloppyDrive -Floppy $floppy will just remove floppy drive from Vm setting not disable on BIOS. I looking command to disable on BIOS level

Thanks, Please let me know if you have any automate way to disable floppy drive controller on BIOS. We are using clone method.

Floppy.JPG

0 Kudos
MKguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Unfortunately VM BIOS settings can't be directly altered via the API.

The only klutzy way I'm aware of to automate this is replacing the .nvram file which contains the BIOS state of a VM on the datastore with a "template" .nvram file. You can use the Powershell Copy-DatastoreItem cmdlet for this task.

-- http://alpacapowered.wordpress.com
0 Kudos