VMware Cloud Community
Formatter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Need routing table entry on VM esxi vcenter server?

I have a system that has everything on the managment network 172.16.1.0 network gateway 172.16.1.1. I have connected to the system a small Buisness router on the same network but with a gateway 172.16.1.70, It connects to another small business router via IPSec VPN at an offsite location its network is 192.168.5.0. from a server on the 172.16.1.0 network I can connect to 192.168.5.40 Nas device on the other end. However I would like to be able to connect as nas storage from vmware or ISCSI and VMware will nor the server will allow pinging of the network on the other end.

I think it may need an entry in the routing table to tell it to use the 172.16.1.70 gateway whenever it needs to see 192.168.5.0 network. I think this is the solve to my problem, How would this routing be put in the routing table of the server at 172.16.1.25 (Vcenter Server) so that it sees the Nas/ISCSI store at the other end using Vcenter and ESXi?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BenConrad
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

On the vCenter server:

route add 192.168.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0 172.16.1.70

Ben

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Formatter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Here is a simple network diagram if this helps

0 Kudos
BenConrad
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

On the vCenter server:

route add 192.168.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0 172.16.1.70

Ben

0 Kudos
Formatter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Could you explain a little this will not stop it from using 172.16.1.1 to get out to the internet? but allows it to the 192.168.5.0 network no problem

0 Kudos
LarryBlanco2
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The routing entry should ideally be put into the routes table of your router. 

I also believe that having storage not on the local subnet is not supported.  No hops. I may be wrong.

but if you want to test it out and see how it works.

esxcfg-route -a 192.168.5.0/24 172.16.1.70

U will need to drop into tech support mode on your esxi server.

Larry B.

0 Kudos
BenConrad
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

My bad, should be :

route -p add 192.168.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0 172.16.1.70

Need the -p for persistent.

Yes, you will still have access to 172.16.1.1, the route statement is telling the vCenter server go to gateway 172.16.1.70 in order to get to 192.168.5.0/24.

To remove the route do a 'route delete 192.168.5.0'

Ben

LarryBlanco2
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

This will work for the vCenter server.  But if he wants the ESXi to see the iSCSI NAS.. then the entry needs to be done on the ESXi server itself.

Larry B.

Formatter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If thats trur how do you do this for the ESXI server.. I am using Vmware Data recovery  and plan on using the nas/iscsi as the store for this.

0 Kudos
LarryBlanco2
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yup.. then that should work for you.  Once you run that it'll add the entry into the routing table for the esxi server and you should be able to route to the 192.168.5.x subnet from the esxi box.  You will then need to add a vmkernel network on that subnet in order to be able to connect the the iSCSI lun.

Larry

0 Kudos
Formatter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What is it I run to enter that in the esxi routing table? Ok I see it,,

Can I be in the unsupported thru ssh to esxi?

Also is there another way to configure this like have the IPSec on the same network? 172.16.1.X and then it would be on the same network? just wondering? It would just have a different gateway then correct?

0 Kudos
LarryBlanco2
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

yes.

Start the remote tech support mode service on the esxi box..

then ssh into the box.   Use putty.exe.  or any ssh tool you are a custom too.

Larry.

If that was helped, pelase do not forget to assign points.

0 Kudos
Formatter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks,,, worked like a dream. Didnt need another vkernal as the routing allowed me to connect to it.

Thanks again

0 Kudos