VMware Cloud Community
kmbrad
Contributor
Contributor

Need help with picking hardware for 5.1 hypervisor

Hey Folks,

I have a copy of the 5.1 hypervisor (latest I assume).

Of course as before I try to install and it complains about incompatible network and storage controllers.

So ...

I have tried to find out what I can buy shy of a 15k dollar Dell server.

I want an Intel MB and at least 48 gig RAM for a core i7 (or should I go for dual Xeon's??

Can't seem to find any guidence.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

What's the purpose for this host? Production, demo, lab, ...? And which workloads do you plan to run on it?

André

0 Kudos
sparrowangelste
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

questions like ap was asking are a good start

also here is the vmware hardware comaptibility list so you can search yourself and make decisions on servers and hardware .

http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php

--------------------- Sparrowangelstechnology : Vmware lover http://sparrowangelstechnology.blogspot.com
0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Dell servers do no cost 15K.  Unless you are trying to add everything under the sun....

They are resonable price, and if you find a Dell server that you absolutely NEED everything as specified, a comparable server will cost about the same.  ALL Enterprise hardware uses the same hardware, same CPU, memory, and disks.. the difference is expansion and support.

I question what you are trying to build if it truly costs 15K.  Sounds like a 2U server when a 1U server will do the trick.

Start with a 420... and maybe post the EXACT specs you need.

0 Kudos
kmbrad
Contributor
Contributor

For my personal computer lab since my old PC collection is useless ... I need a new one.

I would run Windows and Linux

0 Kudos
kmbrad
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks but I have been to the HCL and it is not helpful.

I need to select a motherboard that can take at least 48 gig RAM and has all compatible hardware for 5.1

0 Kudos
kmbrad
Contributor
Contributor

I see that there is this PowerCLI snap in which has an image manager to allow one to add a third party driver and re-make the iso.

Is it possible to re-package the 5.1 hypervisor to make it run on a home PC?

I have an ASUS P6T Delux V2 and intel core i7 975.

The Mother Board has Marvel Yukkon Ethernet chip.

Do people do this sort of thing?

How succesful are they?

0 Kudos