VMware Cloud Community
RicohN
Contributor
Contributor

Need help creating a separate network in production environment

Hi

First of all, a short description on how my currect environment is. I have two host hosting around 15 VM`s. Hosts are running ESX4.1. I have two very Powerfull hosts With plenty of Resource left. Production environment is running on With around 15 servers.

What i am trying to achieve is a separate network, totally isolated from the Production network, With a DHCP server and at the same time able to communicate to the Outer world, This environment is going to be used for testing how the Upgrade of Backup Exec 2010 R# to Backup Exec 2012 goes. So once tests has been done, the same procedure is going to be performed to the Production environment, hence its very important to have this network as similar to the Production environment.

Here is what i have done so far. Created a VSwitch With a physical adapter Attached to it. Created 3 VM`s and given them the Virtual machine port Group which i have called IT. See Attached Screenshot. For some reason, i dont see 2 of the VM`s in the Vswitch.

So here are my questions:

-To have a DHCP and Domain server, i would have to create another VM which is going to be a 2003 server running thoose two services.

-How can i make this network communicate to the Outer world,

-And once i have made it communicate With the Outer world, how can i make sure the DHCP and Domain server in this network wont screw up for the Production environment?

I just have basic knowledge about VmWare so any help here will be much appritiated.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ElevenB2003
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi RicohN,

You won't be able to accomplish a fully separate network that can communicate outside of vSphere without doing some configuration on your network infrastructure (switches).  What kind of switch(es) are you utilizing?  I would say you'd want to create a new VLAN specifically for this test environment and place the VMNIC you're using with your vSwitch into this VLAN as an access port on the switch.  After that, you can look at creating the AD/DCHP server.  I would create an Interface VLAN and give it a subnet to use in your environment.  You can then use that for your test subnet's gateway.

0 Kudos
RicohN
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Thanks for replying but i have already acomplished what i was looking for. I created 2 Vswitches, one which handles the WAN part and the other which handles the LAN. Both are Connected to eachother thru a Linux server which acts as a router and a DHCP. Then in the LAN switch i do have a AD DC and DNS server aswell. Everything is tested and the environment is working just perfectly. Look at the Picture i made on what i did:

0 Kudos