VMware Cloud Community
ddmprojekt
Contributor
Contributor

Need help: How to retrieve/change password in ESXi 5.5 + VSpheres

Hello Helpful People in this community,

I'm running ESXi 5.5 and using VMware vSphere Client (see screenshot below), FREE Version (in German).

I can't log in anymore as root - although I'm quite sure I'm using the correct password (but then again ... :smileyblush:

A 'connection error' window pops up, stating that the Login cannot be done due to a wrong user name or password.

I read that reinstalling is necessary in order to reset the password, but WHAT to reinstall? The VSphere Client or ESXi?

I guess it must be ESXi (presumably the password is stored there somewhere) - but if I reinstall, surely my virtual machines will get destroyed, correct?

Is there anyone among you who knows an elegant solution? Please ...I really mustn't lose my VMs ...

THANK YOU

Philipp

VSph.jpg

0 Kudos
7 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

You are correct, VMware does not have an option to reset the ESXi root password.you have to RE-INSTALL the Esxi and It is not recommended to try any other way.

we do have other ways of resetting it and the below link should be helpful which is of-course not supported from VMware and at its at your own risk.

ESXi - Reset the password for root

0 Kudos
ddmprojekt
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for this quick return -

I looked at the link you posted (how to reset the root pw), but quite frankly, the procedure is too complicated for me, and it seems, nobody has yet reported any experiences with ESXi 5.5., therefore I'd rather do the reinstallation.

I have only one VM running on my ESXi, and I really musn't lose it.

Can you confirm,  that existing VMs inside a ESXi Installation are not harmed (overwritten, deleted)... by a new Installation of ESXi?

P

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

your VM's will not get overwritten since the vmx and the vmdk reside on the datastore, The only issue or hassle would be you need to re-configure your networking on the ESXi host after re-install

Storage would come back fine after re-install.

Note : Ensure your VM is not residing on the local data store where you have your ESXi Installed. If so then when your re-installing it may prompt stating found existing VMFS partition found, Keep the partion and do not Over write.

Then you will lose the VM.

I have done this many time and does not affect your VM's Just ensure you power off the VM as a best practice before re-install and make sure the VM is not on the same datastore as esxi installed, you can RDP into the VM and power off if you cannot do it from the client.

Thanks,

Avinash

ddmprojekt
Contributor
Contributor

THANK YOU AGAIN,

Resinstalling ESXi was successful. My VMs were safe.

P

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Its good to know. Have a good week ahead.

0 Kudos
AltanD
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Experts

I have a same issue, My hp proliant server ESXi crashed because of detached hdd during running. I want install ESXi 5.5 without loss of vm's but during installation installer ask repartitioning. What I need to do.

0 Kudos
malickware
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The installer of the esxi will identify any existing esxi installation and will only suggest that partition to use,In your case it seems that the VMFS hdd's seems to be corrupted because of the HDD issue.

Could you please share the screenshot to understand more.

0 Kudos