ESXi

View Only
  • 1.  Need assitance with iSCSI storage

Posted Sep 16, 2013 08:28 PM

I have a new SAN that I am trying to migrate my current data to.  I am running ESXI 5.1.  I am using the VMware iscsi software adapter.

Network setup:

Old san target IP: 10.10.10.10

Connection: ESXi >old switch>old SAN

ESXi connection:10.10.10.100 -  1 vswitch with 2 vnics

New san target IP: 10.10.10.11

Intended Connection: ESXi>new switch>new SAN

ESXi connection: 10.10.10.101 - 1 vswitch with 2 vnics

ESXi host is currently connected to the old SAN (One datastore in VMware).  The connection is via 1 vswitch with to vnics.  No vkernal port binding is being used on the iSCSI software adapter.

Problem is the new volume I have setup on the new SAN simply will not show up when performing a Rescan of the HBA , UNLESS I add the new vnics for the new vswitch to the port binding under Network config for the VMware iSCSI initiator.  The volume is setup with unrestricted access, no chap, IP, etc.  I am curios what could be preventing the new SAN from showing up without having to add the port bindings.  My only thought is that there is an issue with routing due to both the new SAN switch and the old SAN switch being configured with the same subnet; resulting in esxi trying to scan for the IP on the old switch instead of the new?

• 2.  RE: Need assitance with iSCSI storage
    Best Answer

Posted Sep 16, 2013 09:02 PM

You can not have 2 ip address on same subnet for storage. So you need port binding.

Both targets are on same subnet too. If you dont want to use port binding you should have one ip address for the storage on same subnet.

Also those are pnics not vnics right? Are all 4 pnics on same pysical switch?

If yes, You can just have one vSwitch and add all 4.

Or put your new storage on separate network.

Edit;typo

• 3.  RE: Need assitance with iSCSI storage

Posted Sep 16, 2013 09:30 PM

Thank you for the response.

You can 2 ip address on same subnet for storage. So you need port binding.

I assume you meant to say You cant have 2 ip addresses on the same subnet for storage. Correct?

Also those are pnics not vnics right? Are all 4 pnics on same pysical switch?

Sorry, to clarify.  I have 4 physical NIC's.  1 vswitch per SAN and 2 pnics for each vswitch.  The 2 pnics for the old SAN are connected to a 1 physical switch (old switch) and the other 2 pnics for the new SAN are connected to a separate physical switch (new switch)

I think it may be easiest to simply put the new SAN on a separate subnet.

thanks

• 4.  RE: Need assitance with iSCSI storage

Posted Sep 16, 2013 10:28 PM

Yes, thats what i mean, you can not. Sorry. More like its not best practice.

And yes you should put the second SAN on different subnet. Otherwise they would confuse which vmk to go out.

• 5.  RE: Need assitance with iSCSI storage

Posted Sep 17, 2013 01:09 AM

Unless you connect the new storage on the same "old switch" , being both accessed by the same vmk interface, you will need to use separate subnets for this as OzerS said.

Even when not using both storages, having 2 vmk with the same subnet will generate IP access errors on the iSCSI storages.

• 6.  RE: Need assitance with iSCSI storage

Posted Sep 17, 2013 06:01 PM

I moved the new SAN to a separate subnet and all works as expected.  Now I just need to setup mpio on the new SAN while still connected to the old SAN.  I will start a new discussion.

• 7.  RE: Need assitance with iSCSI storage

Posted Sep 19, 2013 06:02 PM

Just goto the command line of the ESX host and run VMKping command to test the connectivity with ISCSI storage.

if the ping reply is ok then there should be no trouble to add new volume.

Regards

Oscar

Your Oscar