VMware Cloud Community
rmgbasker
Contributor
Contributor

Need Partition Details Vsphere 4.1

Dear Dude's

I hear the vmware esx has been replaced to esxi archieture in vsphere 4.1..could you please let me know the default partition details because the service console has been removed in vsphere 4.1 so how the servers partition looks like

0 Kudos
5 Replies
maishsk
Expert
Expert

Hi and welcome to the forums.

Your question has been moved a more appropriate forum
Maish

VMware Communities User Moderator

- @maishsk

Maish Saidel-Keesing • @maishsk • http://technodrone.blogspot.com • VMTN Moderator • vExpert • Co-author of VMware vSphere Design
0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

For ESXi you don't change the partition sizes as you do with ESX. If you install to a 1 GB flash device ESXi wil create a boot partition, 2 partitions for firmware storage, one vmkcore partition, and the store partition (vmware tools ISOs, etc). If you have at least 5 GB ESXi will also create a partition for /scratch. Remaining space above 5 Gb (roughly) gets allocated as a VMFS datastore.

Dave

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

0 Kudos
vijaygvk
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Dave,

Can you please give me details mentioned below

In ESX File System is mentioned below, like what is the file system in ESXi 4.1 and the installation settings mount points

Partition File System

Boot partition ext3

Swap partition swap

Root partition ext3

log partition ext3

VMFS partition (local) Vmfs3

Vmkcore vmkcore

Setting Production Configuration

Boot partition Mount Point - /boot, file system ext3 on disk sda, and size 100MB

Root partition Mount Point - / , file system ext3 on disk sda, and size 1000MB

log partition Mount Point - /var/log File System ext3 ondisk sda Size 5120MB

VMFS partition (local) Mount Point -- {not applicable} File System – vmfs3 - ondisk sda Size (MB) - All remaining space on disk.

Vmkcore (last partition on disk) Mount Point -- {not applicable} File System – vmkcore - ondisk sda Size (MB) - 110MB

Thanks

VijayRaj

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

If you look at page 6 you'll see an image of the partitions - http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/ESXi_architecture.pdf. If it's a disk install and you have 5 GB you would also get a 4 GB scratch partition. When ESXi boots it creates a RAM disk and then mounts these partitions. Hypervisor1/2 get mounted as /bootbank and /altbootbank, store as /store , etc.

Dave

Now available - VMware ESXi: Planning, Implementation, and Security

Also available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

0 Kudos
vijaygvk
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Dave,

I am still confused I understand as per the document mentioned below, can you elaborate file systems, size and equalent partitions in ESXi

Boot Bank partition 48MB is for equalent to /boot in ESX?

4GB scratch partition is equalent to Swap in ESX?

Coredump 110MB partition is equalent to vmkcore in ESX?

Store Partition is equalent to ?

Root Partition is equalent to ?

Log Partition is equalent to ?

Thanks

VijayRaj

0 Kudos