VMware Cloud Community
MAHernandez2011
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Need Help with delete all snapshots

We have a webserver VM that had about 6 snapshots attached to it.

We were running out of space on our LUN so we did a delete all, but that didn't do anygood and I think the snapshots (197GB) are still in the VM folder.

We have about 18GB of free space left.

Please advised.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
29 Replies
MAHernandez2011
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ok we have it shut down, we freed up space.

Here are your logs.

We are running the command

and have Destination disk format: VMFS zeroedthick

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Sounds good.

I saw you removed the third virtual disk from the VM (without deleting from disk). To avoid issues, delete the "wwwtest.vmsd" file at this point.

Once the cloning is done (vmkfstools completed successfully), edit the VM's settings and remove the second HDD (don't yet delete it from the disk, only remove it from the virtual hardware), then add the new cloned virtual disk to the VM (make sure it's connected to "scsi0:1"). To ensure the old virtual disks are not being used anymore, create a new sub-directory in the VM's folder and move all the "wwwtest_1*.vmdk" files to this folder (this can be done using the datastore browser).

Now it's time to power on the VM to see whether everything works as expected. If so, you can safely delete the files you moved to the sub-directory.

Caution: If you have trouble, please don't try to re-attach the old virtual disk. Report back here and I will help.

After you confirm the above steps, we can do some clean up and/or move the cloned virtual disk back to it's "home" folder. Please attach the latest vmware.log once again, so I can take a look at it.

André

0 Kudos
MAHernandez2011
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We get an error when trying to power up the VM.

Insufficient resources to satisify configured failover level for HA

0 Kudos
MAHernandez2011
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Any VM for that matter.

0 Kudos
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

This is like a great mix of problems.... Smiley Happy This isolated one you can resolve by only Editting the Cluster  settings, going to the HA Options and allowing vms to power on even if  they violate availability constraints. Have in mind that doing this will  not guarantee the power on of your VMs by the HA in case you have host  failures.

Marcelo Soares

Marcelo Soares
0 Kudos
MAHernandez2011
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Where do I find that setting?

0 Kudos
marcelo_soares
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

- Right click the cluster where this VM resides;

- Click Edit Settings;

- Click on VMware HA (not sure, but something like this)

- There will be an option regarting the allowing or not the power on on constraint violation.

Marcelo Soares

Marcelo Soares
MAHernandez2011
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks sooooo much.

Do you have an address where we can send a thank you gift from our school.

0 Kudos
MAHernandez2011
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you very much we sure do appreciate it.

DO you have an address where we can send swag.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You are welcome, no need to send anything. I'm glad the issue could be solved and your system is up and running again.

André

0 Kudos