VMware Cloud Community
tscott2340
Contributor
Contributor

Need Help Troubleshooting Disk I/O Performance Please..

I'm running ESXi 4.1. I have, what I believe to be, a disk I/O issue.. I have an EMC AX4-5i with two hosts.. Trying to do a storage vmotion (with the VM powered off) took over an hour before it would actually show the progress of 1%.. I had to cancel it..

Powering on a VM took over 3 minutes to login (and it was a fresh VM from template)..

Trying to install Veeam on a VM took over 60 minutes to get past the "analyzing" part..

Today I was copying files from VM to VM and while running esxtop the DAVG/cmd was over 3,000 on one of the hosts.. One of the VMs lived on host A and the other lived on host B.. Host B's esxtop DAVG/cmd didn't go over 100..

One thing to note is that the AX4's write cache is currently disabled because of a bad SPS.. I just don't know if that can cause such severe performance degradation..

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
2 Replies
memaad
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

Disabling cache could cause performance issue. However you can check the vmekrnel logs for more information to see if anything else is causing the problem.

Regards

Mohammed

Mohammed | Mark it as helpful or correct if my suggestion is useful.
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Yes Enable cache.. It would improve the performance... AX4-5i should be using iSCSI. If yes recommend enabling jumbo frames as well...

0 Kudos