VMware Cloud Community
cgkades
Contributor
Contributor

Need 2 NICs to get networking to work in Linux VM

If I only have one network adapter set up for the guest Linux OS, then I cannot ping anything on my network. But if i give it 2, then disable one of the interfaces in Linux, i can ping. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the COmmunity - Can you post a screen shot of how you have the network configured on your esxi host?

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
cgkades
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortinutatly I cannot. This is on a classified network. It's a standard switch: vSwitch0 the vm's are in a Virtual Machine Port Group VM Network. They all connect to the grey box (i'm guessing that's the virtual switch) which then connects to the physical adapter vmnic0 1000 full

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Do both virtual NICs connect to the same virtual machine port group? If they do how is the networking configured within the Linux OS? I would look at the configuration inside the LInux OS -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
cgkades
Contributor
Contributor

They are on the same port group. Bothe interfaces are configured EXACTLY the same.

I right click on the vm-> edit settings->then if there is only 1 Netwrok adapter in there, i cannot ping. if there are two, i can ping.

So this is what i just did. in the linux os. ping xxx.xxx.xxx.1 (router) i get Destination Host Unreachable. I edited the settings for the vm and added a new adapter. once it finished adding, i did eth1 up, then eth0 down. i configured the correct ip address that eth0 just had (same exact settings) then i pinged the router. and, no surprise... it worked. This is very very very odd. This is the same OS that i have installed on every other machine on our network, and none of them behave like this.

and if i remove the other adapter. i can no longer ping

0 Kudos
cgkades
Contributor
Contributor

Another strange thing, is that the first interface wont work. I have to disable it, and use the new one.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Part of the virtual NIC configuration is what virtual machine port group you are connecting the NIC to - are both virtual NICs connecting to the same virtual machine port group?

0 Kudos
cgkades
Contributor
Contributor

Yes my two VM's and their nics are all connected to the same Virtual Machine Port Group (VM Network)

0 Kudos
cgkades
Contributor
Contributor

Looks like you have to uncheck Virtuazation in the packages. NO XEN KERNEL! oh well. at least i figured it out

0 Kudos