VMware Cloud Community
biolog5
Contributor
Contributor

Native vmware or HP-specific install

Greetings All,

I was just wondering what is the best practise for installing ESXi 4.1 on HP Proliant DL 380 G7 Servers - is it better to go with native ESXi from vmware, or for HP customised ESXi? I understand that only difference between them is the offline-bundle, which provides HP CIMs. I tested with both, and the only visible difference is the fact that I can see my storage controller with drives with HP installation, and can't see them with Vmware native installation.

Obviously ability to monitor storage is nice, but it is not essential, given that local storage is only used for esxi install and some backups (and esxi only takes only 30mins to set up).

The other issue is whether I will need HP NMI driver in both cases, just one of them, or not at all (as described in vmware Kb http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=102160...)

Opinions will be much appreciated and many thanks for your help!

S.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
simon_wright
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I always use the HP version were I can, I find it better as it has later drivers and cim ready to run out of the box.

0 Kudos
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I have a number of HP 380 G7 and 580 G7 servers. I use the HP OEM install for all of them for ESXi 4.1u1 and then use VUM to get them fully updated.

My reason is that it's got all of the HP goodness baked in and is one less patch to deal with (the offline bundle).

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators
0 Kudos
MarekZdrojewski

Hi,

I agree with Simon and Chris, I also always use the HP image because of all the HP stuff embedded in the image. Saves you a lot of time.

Cheers!

| Blog: https://defaultreasoning.com | Twitter: @MarekDotZ |
0 Kudos
Techstarts
Expert
Expert

In fact HP says it is mandatory for all G7 blades to use their ISO, as VMware based ISO do not have the NIC card drivers.

Further reading is available here http://h30507.www3.hp.com/t5/Eye-on-Blades-Blog-Trends-in/HP-images-of-ESX-and-ESXi-for-G7-server-bl...

All ESXi images can be found here

Thanks & Regards,

Techstarts

vcp5.wordpress.com

With Great Regards,
0 Kudos
biolog5
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, Thank you for your replies.

Two further questions - will I need to install HP NMI driver (or any other drivers for that matter), and is there anything useful and free that I will be able to use to monitor the hardware? From what I understand HP Insight Manager will be a bit costly...

Cheers,

S.

0 Kudos
Techstarts
Expert
Expert

Try Veam Monitor

With Great Regards,
0 Kudos
biolog5
Contributor
Contributor

Yup, I tried that (and liked it a lot!) already, and am planning to use it in my production environment - will it integrate with HP CIMs and report hardware issues to me (e.g. hard drive failure)

Thank you.

S.

0 Kudos