VMware Cloud Community
zenivox
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

NUMA node count not right

Hello again, I hope to get a reply on this one.. I have a vCluster with 8 nodes ESXi 6.5, all HP DL560 G10 with 4 sockets. All with HT enabled. However 7 show the following numa nodes count:

[root@esx000009:~] esxcli hardware memory get | grep NUMA

NUMA Node Count: 8

and one only shows the following:

[root@esx000008:~] esxcli hardware memory get | grep NUMA

NUMA Node Count: 4

why would that be?? They are all alike... I can't think of anything that clarifies this ackward host

0 Kudos
7 Replies
KocPawel
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Are servers with the same memory size, DIMMs etc. ?

Does it have the same processors?

Compare BIOS settings in regard to NUMA and Memeory interleaving.

0 Kudos
zenivox
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi Pawel, they are identical in everything. They were purchased at the same time. They all have 1.5TB RAM each. The ones that show 8 numa nodes in esxtop they show 8 numa nodes of 196GB RAM while that only one that has 4 shows 4 numa nodes of 375GB RAM. I don't understand why the difference..

0 Kudos
KocPawel
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Compare BIOS settings in regard to NUMA and Memeory interleaving.

That's only one thing which comes to my mind.

0 Kudos
zenivox
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

thanks! As soon as I can powr off the servers I will check..

0 Kudos
hussainbte
Expert
Expert

how many cores per socket ..? i would like to know the total number of cores you have on the server..

also can you navigate through these BIOS setting and share an output..

Setting NUMA Group Size Optimization

1. From the System Utilities screen, select System Configuration > BIOS/Platform Configuration (RBSU) > Performance Options > Advanced Performance Tuning Options > NUMA Group Size Optimization
If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Correct OR Helpful Regards, Hussain https://virtualcubes.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
zenivox
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Thanks Hussain, each CPU has 22 cores and HT is enabled. As soon as I can schedule an activity to power off the server I'll post the result of that setting, thanks again

0 Kudos
hussainbte
Expert
Expert

22 cores per socket and 4 sockets..

so that is a total of 88 cores. that is a lot of compute power

If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Correct OR Helpful Regards, Hussain https://virtualcubes.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos