VMware Cloud Community
srwsol
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

NUC 11 Hardware Sensors

Hi folks:

I just got my hands on an Intel NUC11TNHv7 and have installed the latest version of ESXi on it after creating a custom install ISO with the drivers for the 2.5gbs network adapters in it.   It seems to work just fine with the exception of not seeing the hardware health sensors.   Does anyone know if there are any flings or other drivers available for those?   Also if drivers aren't available, is there any way to make those hardware sensors available to a VM, as the more recent versions of the Linux kernel do support those sensors as I saw the temperature data when booting a live version of Debian 11 off of a thumb drive.         

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
stadi13
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi @srwsol 

As far as I know there is no integration available which allows vSphere to collect the hardware information from the NUC. You can find a community blog about this topic by intel https://community.intel.com/t5/Intel-NUCs/ESXI-Support-for-hardware-sensors-on-NUC-platform/td-p/683...

Many people are requesting it. So fingers crossed for you.

Regards

Daniel

pkvmw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

as @stadi13 correctly stated there's currently no implementation. Allowing ESXi to get sensor information requires a plugin/service from the hardware vendor, which isn't available as of today unfortunately.

Passing through the data to a VM isn't technically possible. To my knowledge those sensors are e.g. queried using ACPI and this is not a device you can passthrough. (To my knowledge this is pre-defined memory address space where devices/BIOS/UEFI write the information to)

Regards,
Patrik

srwsol
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

OK, thanks for the replies.   It's not a show stopper, but the NUC will end up in a remote location where it's kind of warm, so it would have been nice to have the sensor data available to see if it's getting anywhere close to the limits.   

0 Kudos