VMware Cloud Community
AnandSatyaseela
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

NTP time sync

will the restart of ntpd service in ESX affect the time settings on the virtual machines running on the ESX.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

It should not affect the time on the VMs --

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
SamArun
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Anand,

Ideally it should not affect the time settings on the VM's. Once the service is restarted in ESX the VM's should automatically pick the time details from the Host.

Regards,

Arun S

0 Kudos
AnandSatyaseela
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If VMs are configured to use the NTP server. I believe restarting the ntp daemon on the ESX will not have an impact on the vms running on it.

Think time settings on virtual machines are not dependent on the time set on the ESX.

Please correct me if i am wrong

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

I wouldn't set the VM's to use the host ntp settings, or sync time with the ESX/ESXi host server. Far better to use the x.xx.pool.ntp.org servers for time settings/sync... I use those, actually, for both my host server(s) as well as any/all VM's I have (as well as any other physical system). Being in the US, I typically use the x.us.pool.ntp.org and/or x.north-america.pool.ntp.org servers (0-2 typically) for time sync. Setting several servers ensures that I'll always have accurate time on any of the systems. You can get a list of active pool servers here, selecting the ones from your region, and country... With about two thousand servers (globally) you really don't have much to worry about...

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

0 Kudos