VMware Cloud Community
athenasoftware
Contributor
Contributor

NTP synchronization problem disappeared?

I just noticed that my Linux VMs are no longer showing problems with NTP synchronization requiring a time reset due to being out by too much time.

--------------------- XNTPD Begin ------------------------

Time Reset 1 times (total: -9.241883 s  average: -9.241883 s)

Total synchronizations 5 (hosts: 4)

---------------------- XNTPD End -------------------------

--------------------- XNTPD Begin ------------------------

Time Reset 1 times (total: -13.862626 s  average: -13.862626 s)

Total synchronizations 4 (hosts: 3)

---------------------- XNTPD End -------------------------

Ever since Nov 20, I am no longer getting NTP logs that show time resets have occurred and it was happening regularly on almost all of my Linux VMs (running on ESXi 4.1).    I have not done anything to the VMs or the ESXi servers.   Has anyone else noticed this?    I thought it might be related to the switch to EST but that occurred on Nov 6 and I was still getting the time resets between Nov 6 and Nov 20.

Has anyone else noticed this?  Any one have any idea why this might be?

I think I have found the cause for my problem.  I am running the VMware Data Recovery app and when it's running, I get the time synchronization issues.   I noticed when I happened to have a problem with the app when it stopped working.   When VMware Data Recovery was not running, I no longer had the time synchronization issues.   So it would appear that the problem in my case is due to this app somehow interferring with the time synchronization process. Message was edited by: athenasoftware

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
0 Replies