VMware Cloud Community
ras2a
Contributor
Contributor

NTP incorrect time

Hey all,

I've configured our ESXi Hosts to synch their time with some UK NTP Servers (0.uk.pool.ntp.org etc). However, the time appears to be precisely one hour ahead of the actual time (we are based in the UK).

See attached image - one of our hosts, showing 10:28am (when the screenshot was captured, the 'real' time was 9:28am)

Any ideas how I can change this so we are completely in synch?

Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
5 Replies
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

Hi,

it's a problem with your vSphere client/your desktop client.

The straight one hour mismatch of your time is a hint for a wrong timezone

NTP knows nothing about timezones, the client has to set it. In ESXi you can't change the timezone, it runs in UTC. Your vSphere Client translates that time to your local settings.

When you ssh into the host and type "date" you will see the actual time running on the server. Right now on one of my servers for example:

~ # date
Thu Sep 27 08:49:36 UTC 2012

So it has to be something wrong on your comptuer where you run your vSphere Client, or with the vSphere client settings itself.

Regards

0 Kudos
ras2a
Contributor
Contributor

I'm still at a loss as to why this could be showing the wrong time. My local machine is synched on our Windows domain (which derives its time from Internet NTP servers - so the vSphere client isn't picking up incorrect time from here).

Any other ideas as to why this could be?

0 Kudos
ras2a
Contributor
Contributor

Edit: I've updated the time on my local PC to not use DST (so the clock automatically goes back an hour). Re-logged back into vCenter and checked time of both hosts - the time is now showing correctly (though local PC, from which I'm running vSphere client, shows incorrect time - back one hour).

Not sure what's going on here as all PCs have their time synched with DC, which in turn gets time from NTP on Internet

Note: local PC time is set to UTC: Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London

0 Kudos
ramkrishna1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi  ras2a

Welcome to communities .

its for all pc or particular few pc having the problem ?

please replace CMOS BIOS most probably battery may creating problem also please check bios time.

"concentrate the mind on the present moment"
ras2a
Contributor
Contributor

I shall check the BIOS - thanks for the heads up

Smiley Happy

0 Kudos