VMware Cloud Community
actyler1001
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

NTP broken after ESXi 7u3 upgrade

NTP time sync appears to have broken after the 7U3 upgrade.  Anyone else run into this and have suggestions on how I might fix?  I've deleted and re-created the service, checked FW policy, tried different servers...  Nothing helps.

Original Build: VMware ESXi, 7.0.2, 17867351

actyler1001_1-1635089620144.png

New Build: VMware ESXi, 7.0.3, 18644231

actyler1001_0-1635089532365.png

Labels (2)
135 Replies
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Comment edited because it is not worthy of note and not to cause disruption to others.

0 Kudos
loungehostmaste
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

i didn't say you opinionsat a whole  are nonsense! i said "running ntpd on each and every guest is nonsense and in a 100% virtualized environment nothing else exists" and why it's nonsense to run ntpd on 100 or more guests and torture "pool.ntp.org" day and night should be obvious

you missed the context: 100% virtualized environment
and in a 100% virtualized environment you would need to run dedicated, redundant hardware only to run ntpd

may YOU explain on a TECHNICAL GROUND why your ESXi hosts can't run ntpd and the guests use the host as time source - because, well, it just works and the times where vmware-tools made lage time-jumps are gone for years now!

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Comment edited because it is not worthy of note and not to cause disruption to others.

0 Kudos
maksym007
Expert
Expert

interesting how everything is going. 

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Hi, maksym007,

But nothing happens.

I hope that the response you receive contains useful information to remedy the problem you have encountered.
In the meantime, I wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos
maksym007
Expert
Expert

Thx, same to you 🙂

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

0 Kudos
muomr1
Contributor
Contributor

Dear , 

Do you have NTP Server or your using NTP pool ?

0 Kudos
maksym007
Expert
Expert

And what is the difference? Does ESXi recognize if it's a server or pool?

0 Kudos
LabMasterBeta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have re-reviewed this thread that seemed to derail for a while, and wondered if the recent posts are a NEW problem with NTP?

Or, if the ongoing posts are relating to my now-buried procedure for original NTP Solution (posted ‎09-05-2022 11:54 AM ET)?

Please elaborate in more detail.

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

0 Kudos
loungehostmaste
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

this thread seems to be the one which gets every ntp related issue for the next years because a lot of people are too dumb to stray on topic and distinct issues - hopefully i find how to only disable notfiues for that nonsense here

0 Kudos
muomr20
Contributor
Contributor

My Dear , 

You have 3 options : 

1- Integrate NTP from Your ESXI 

2- Integrate from NTP Server (NTP appliances or NTP windows ) 

3- Integrate from NTP Pool (https://www.ntppool.org

0 Kudos
maksym007
Expert
Expert

Seriously? I didn't know that 

Of course, these options are available. Wil it somehow solve our problem?

0 Kudos
OwKi
Contributor
Contributor

Give us bad updates to force us to the cloud where we have to trust them more with more to lose.  I totally agree.  If you can't get step 1 right, don't bother with step 2.  Greedy for the cloud money where we were promised that somehow introducing a middle man saves us money.  That having your data in someone else's hands is more secure.  That adding an internet connection to your possible points of failure makes it more robust.    

0 Kudos
LabMasterBeta
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

A few pages back, my NTP solution continues to work for those who've spent the time to analyze, read, and try it:

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/ESXi-Discussions/NTP-broken-after-ESXi-7u3-upgrade/td-p/2874086/pa...

For smaller deployments, NTP works fine in ESXi 7.0.3, you do not "need" external NTP within your local network.

But the config within VCSA does seem to get corrupt in certain upgrade or patch scenarios. It seems all the latest ESXI/VCSA patches for 7.0.3 (aka Update3), help to resolve this issue but the commands I posted are still required to return to a normal non-error state (sometimes, not always, depends on deployment).

0 Kudos