ESXi

View Only
  • 1.  NPIV Virtual Port and VM WWNs

Posted Jan 04, 2016 12:18 PM

Hi Guys,

Looking at NPIV doc for VCAP-DCA. Bit of confusion of NPIV Virtual Port and VM WWNs.

Some study guide talks about up to 4 virtual port per VM. My understanding the virtual port is WWN pair assigned to the VM which can be used as vHBA to FC fabric. In my 5.5 Lab, I can assign up to 16 WWN pairs on a VM (HW 8).

I can see the 4 virtual port limit in v4.1 document, but couldn't find it in v5 and v5.5. Has this limit removed from v5 and later??

Thanks.

VMware vSphere 4 - ESX and vCenter Server

Each virtual machine can have up to 4 virtual ports. NPIV-enabled virtual machines are assigned exactly 4 NPIV-related WWNs, which are used to communicate with physical HBAs through virtual ports. Therefore, virtual machines can utilize up to 4 physical HBAs for NPIV purposes.

vSphere 5.5 Documentation Center

• 2.  RE: NPIV Virtual Port and VM WWNs

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 04, 2016 02:38 PM

Moderator note: While the question is being asked in relation to a VCAP exam, it's a technical product question so I'm moving it to the ESXi 5 forum area.

• 3.  RE: NPIV Virtual Port and VM WWNs
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 04, 2016 02:45 PM

It is actually given in the 5.5 documentation. You might have missed it. Here's the link for it

vSphere 5.5 Documentation Center

You can have up to 16 WWNs. The documentation states "You can create from 1 to 16 WWN pairs, which can be mapped to the first 1 to 16 physical FC HBAs on the host."

• 4.  RE: NPIV Virtual Port and VM WWNs

Posted Jan 04, 2016 11:21 PM

Thanks Abhilashhb, saw the up to 16 WWNs in v55 document. Just bit of confusion of 4 virtual port in some of VCAP study guides.