VMware Cloud Community
gesturgis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

NIC will not stay connected, after conversion.

Hey all,

I've converted a WinXP VM from an ESXi 3.5 host to an ESX 4 host. I then updated VMware tools and then upgraded the vHardware to v.7.

The problem I'm seeing now is that the virtual NIC will not connect. With the VM powered off, I'll edit settings and make sure "Connect at power on" is checked. Then I'll boot the VM and go back into edit settings, and "Connected" is not checked. The VM OS confirms this by claiming the the network adapter is not plugged in. I can check the Connected box, click OK, and go right back into Edit Settings to find the box unchecked again.

Any suggestions for resolving this would be most appreciated!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I would remove the adapter in the guest settings. Remove the nic in the guest OS and uninstall VMware tools. Add the NIC in the Guest settings. Restart the guest and go through the process of adding the NIC in the OS.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
gesturgis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Unfortunately, that procedure left me with the same results.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Check the Windows Event log. What if any errors? Remove the adapter in the guest settings and add a new adapter and change the type to e1000.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Disable any "power saving" options from within the Guest OS.

Regards

Joerg

'Remember if you found this or others answers helpful do not forget to award points by marking an answer as helpful or correct'

0 Kudos
gesturgis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Nope, no errors in the Event Log.

However - removing that NIC and then adding back an e1000 NIC may be helping us. Windows is now prompting me to provide drivers for a new Ethernet Controller that it has found. I re-installed VMware Tools in an effort to get that driver installed, but it's still not finding it.

Am I on the right track? Where should I find those drivers?

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

e1000 is an Intel NIC. You can download ones from Intel.

gesturgis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

On a whim, I tried migrating the VM to one of our other ESX 4 hosts. With the flexible NIC, it works fine. When I migrate it back, the NIC does not work. Could this be a host hardware issue?

It is a Dell R810.

0 Kudos
gesturgis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm an idiot. My virtual switch had no available ports.

Carry on...

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Sometimes (always) life has too many details. Glad you have it working.

0 Kudos